Rachel’s Challenge Resonates Compassion Throughout AAHS

Rachel’s Challenge makes a big impact this fall as it travels around the nation, starting chain reactions of compassion and kindness. Dedicated to and inspired by Rachel Joy Scott, one of the victims of the Columbine shooting, Rachel’s Challenge is a series of inspiring student programs and strategies that equip people everywhere to combat bullying and create a safe and compassionate environment for people everywhere. This non-profit, non-political, non-religious organization stages assemblies and organizes events at schools all over the United States, aiming to promote random acts of kindness and to spread Rachel’s word; “I have this theory that if one person can go out of their way to show compassion, then it will start a chain reaction of the same. People will never know how far a little kindness can go.”  Shortly after her death, this line was discovered in the most recent of the many the writings Rachel left behind.

One of the latest stops on this group’s journey was Carl Junction, Missouri. Carl Junction students worked with Rachel’s Challenge in early September of 2013 to prevent bullying and violence in their schools. With this program, violence is being replaced with respect and ‘bullying with kindness’. Rachel’s Challenge visited Air Academy High School this fall on October 2, 2013. Michael Hills, a close family friend of the Scott’s, presented a touching and bittersweet assembly that left both students and teachers tearing up. After the assembly, there was a considerable difference in the school; Rachel’s message spread kindness and love throughout the halls of Air Academy. Rachel’s Challenge had students acting kinder to one another, and better appreciating the loved ones in their own lives.

This organization does not only call Littleton, Colorado, ‘home’, but it has inspired the ‘Friends of Rachel’ club here at Air Academy High School. “This is a place for people to come and feel safe and welcome while also learning leadership skills,” says club member Courtney Westerfield. Friends of Rachel works inside the walls of Air Academy, spreading the word of kindness by putting up posters, planning community events such as fundraisers and bake sales, and getting people involved in club activities. “We really just try to make peoples’ days a little bit better. That’s what Rachel did. It’s a small club with a big message. You can be the difference in peoples’ lives and you may not even know it. It’s a great club where we carry on Rachel’s legacy. She was an amazing person that had a great impact on others and we just want to continue that,” said enthusiastic Co-President of Friends of Rachel, Austin Maser. Rachel’s Challenge has inspired schools to create “Friends of Rachel” clubs all over the United States. “The biggest impact of Rachel’s Challenge would have to be the Friends of Rachel clubs. They make a positive difference in schools and are the ongoing piece that’s very important,” said Michael Hills.

Whether traveling the country as a part of Rachel’s Challenge, or meeting for lunch every Wednesday here at Air Academy, supporters are making a difference in communities all over the nation.