There and Back Again

Recovering after two decades of near silence, Air Academy High School students, with the help of Mrs. Steinke, launch the rebuilding of traditions past.  After flying high for 30 years, The Jetstream newspaper faded out and hasn’t been seen or heard much of for nearly 20 years.  Due to this disappearance, the staff and students of Air Academy High School have decided to bring it back, making it bigger and better than ever.

In this 2013-14 school year, the newly renamed Jetstream Journal is back to restore the records of ongoing events and update the staff and students of happenings around our school and community.  The Jetstream Journal staff appoints its reporters, editors, and writers to entertain, express, evaluate, and inform our readers about anything and everything regarding our school.  However, what it is today is a whole different story from what it was previously, and how it came to be.

As many may not be aware, Air Academy High School was first built in 1957.  That same year, a collection of these students came together as a club to write and publish The Jetstream.  The dedication and planning of these students have led to the publication of 165 Jetstream editions.  The words and pictures produced by teenagers 50 years ago are kept in a box that holds three decades of news and features.  These writers may not have become notorious for their writing in a high school newspaper, but these ordinary students were a part of something that lasted far later than they imagined.

“It’s a matter of pride.”  Our school motto reflects on the success and dignity of students and staff that take pride in how far our school has come.  The Jetstream Journal will pick up where they left off 20 years ago, with our new chapter of Jetstream history.  After browsing the previous Jetstream editions, we noticed that the articles were mainly typed on a typewriter.  Pictures of students were printed in black and white; and believe it or not, the logo was hand drawn on all of them.  Being an online newspaper, our editions will be much different.  The paper is totally online.  Anything we publish will always be available.  Although previous editions have all been paper copy, we believe that having an online newspaper will be better considering the amount of time our generation spends on the computer.  There is a big difference between breaking tradition and enhancing it.  We strive for the latter.

The students who published article after article for three constant decades didn’t even realize the contribution they had made.  The strange thing is, that 50 years from now, there will (hopefully) be students saying the same thing about our generation, reflecting on the traditions of the one and only Air Academy High School.  The students from years past had the opportunity to make history, so that’s what they did, without even realizing it.  It’s exactly that, making history, which we are doing.  With our thoughts and our words, we build upon the records of previous generations and contribute as they did before us.  We’re loud, we’re proud, and believe it or not, we’re making history with every word we write.