Have A Holly Jolly Christmas

Successful Students Tend to Sleep More. Welcome to Student Life. N.p., Apr. 2012. Web. 08 Dec. 2014.

“Successful Students Tend to Sleep More.” Welcome to Student Life. N.p., Apr. 2012. Web. 08 Dec. 2014.

The winter months are filled with death, loneliness, and the common cold; but let’s not think about all that too much and try adjusting ourselves in order to keep our spirits up. Seasonal Affective Disorder, comically abbreviated to SAD, is a type of depression that occurs at this certain time of year.

Like other forms of depression, SAD begins during the teen years or early adulthood and is more likely to occur in, but not limited to, women.

Symptoms usually begin in late autumn and are noticeable by November, December, January, and February. Some symptoms include a feeling of hopelessness, weight gain due to an increased appetite, increase in sleep, lack of energy, hampered concentration, reduced interest, social withdrawl, and irritability.

Whether you have Seasonal Affective Disorder or are just feeling a bit down, there are little things you can do to bring your mood up.

• Get enough sleep:

Plan when you are going to fall asleep and set an alarm for eight hours later so you have a full night of rest. If you stay in bed past ten hours your energy levels tend to fall. Once you wake up, try not to linger in bed too long. Get up and get some fresh air.

• Eat healthier foods:

"What Are Healthy Foods." News Tips Tricks. N.p., 18 Dec. 2012. Web. 08 Dec. 2014.
    “What Are Healthy Foods.” News Tips Tricks. N.p., 18 Dec. 2012. Web. 08 Dec. 2014.

On a Sunday night, plan out all of your meals for the upcoming week. It may seem tedious or worthless but it means you have no excuse for eating fast food. When I say making it yourself I mean make it, don’t microwave it. Try incorporating at least one piece of healthy food into each meal.

• Exercise:

The best thing to do when you are in a slump, or stressed, or angry, or happy, or… really any other feeling on the emotional spectrum is exercise. Exercising provides you with an easy energy release. Go out for a hike. You might want to bring a friend so as to not get lonely, also do not stay out too long, existential crises may occur.

If you are feeling down, there is one thing to keep in mind: you are not alone in what you are feeling. Everyone feels this way but that’s not to take away the lump that you feel in your throat. Your back does feel heavy and you have to try and help yourself before you can ask others for a hand in getting up.

Try all of the listed suggestions and if you feel no improvements after you’ve given each a solid try, there are many resources at Air Academy and around Colorado Springs that are here to assist you. Talk to your grade counselor, a teacher, your friends, or your parents. It may seem scary but it’s the only way things have the possibility of getting better. Trust yourself that things will get better.