Make it “Rain”

Victory at last.  Air Academy’s own Katie Rainsberger is second place no more. Finishing a few steps behind Elise Cranny her freshman and sophomore year, Rainsberger, a current junior, did not have anyone to steal the win from under her feet just a few Saturdays ago on October 25, 2014.

A State Championship has always been one of Katie’s goals in her high school career, and with a childhood of running, she is by no means an odd-ball of her family.  Her mother, Lisa Rainsberger, is currently the most recent American woman to win the Boston Marathon, a world-wide event that draws hundreds of people every year to the heart of Boston.  Lisa took that title in 1985.  Following literally in her footsteps, Katie plans to run in this international race after a few more victories in high school.

Currently, Katie’s personal record for the 1600 is 4:39.  At the Colorado State High School Cross Country meet, Rainsberger finished with a final time of 18:50, a time far slower than her track record of 16:41 for a 5K.  A combination of the blistering heat and the hilly course at the 5K state meet was not the ideal circumstance for a PR, but Katie refused to let that stand in her way of a victory at last.  Crossing the finish line at the Penrose Event Center in Colorado Springs in the early afternoon, Katie finally earned her state title.

But getting there is a whole different story.  For Rainsberger, running is not just a workout, nor is it just a hobby; it’s a habit.  Every day after seven hours of grooling schoolwork, Katie runs.  And then she runs more.  And more.  And again.  And again.  In a week, Katie estimates she runs about 40 miles total, taking Sundays off to rest.  That’s 7 miles a day, roughly.  “Some days we go 9 and others we only go 5 but it all evens out,” she says.

Cross Country season officially started in August, with pre-season summer training in the preceding months.  Many Air Academy runners train year round, and Katie is obviously no exception.  She doesn’t really have an off season.  An extended break would compromise her ultimate goal: a professional running career, and maybe even the Olympics.  “Of course making it the the Olympics is one of my goals, but Rio in 2016 is too soon.”  According to Rainsberger, the prime time for running is anywhere between the ages 24 and 36.  That gives her almost 20 years to set more records and break her own.

Where does Katie see herself in half that time?  “I’m not sure; but I can’t see myself not running.”  And run she will.  College letters come her way in volumes, enticing her to run for their school in 2016 after she graduates.  A future in running is almost guaranteed for Katie, and she of all people has earned it.  Katie is a walking — or should I say running? — example of how hard work really does pay off.