The Importance of StuCo

Jackie Westrick looking at a poster hung up by Student Council.

StuCo, otherwise known as Student Council, is a type of administration made up of just what’s said in the name. Students in StuCo are elected into certain positions. They voice the opinions, concerns, and ideas of their fellow students to teachers, principals, and even the school board with other duties assigned to them, like raising funds for the school or planning social events for students to enjoy.

Most schools, including our very own Air Academy High School, have some sort of StuCo with its own well-respected members. But while asking students questions about StuCo, a very odd concern was brought to my attention. Most students did not know we had a student council, let alone the vital purpose they serve us. This concerns me because if there are no students to voice concerns about what’s going on within the school, then what’s the point of having a StuCo in the first place? 

An important question to answer first would be, what exactly does the student council even take care of and what do students think StuCo does for our school?

“I think StuCo just gives general ideas towards things and sets up events,” sophomore Taylor Hill said.

And in retrospect, Hill would be correct when it comes to the original definition, but our school has an expanded opinion on what StuCo serves at AAHS.

“The purpose of student council is for students to begin to see what it is like to be student leaders. The class prepared them to make decisions on things that they will be required to do in the future,” KMAC teacher, Tony Powell, mentioned.

But even then, why has StuCo and its members been forgotten by the school? I mean, they plan out most of the events that students go to and enjoy, so what gives?

“I think it’s because no one really talks about it that much. It’s something that I feel many students could care less about,” Hill openly admits. “Many of the people I know like to go with the flow most of the time when a problem or concern pops up.”

But even though many students do not know much about the StuCo, it’s still one of the most pivotal areas of our school.

“Kids should care because everything they do in student council represents all of the students in the school. They are the ones making the decisions for, dance, which charities we support, and so on,” Powell went on to say in the interview. “We have student council so students can take responsibility for what direction the school moves towards. Being a leader will benefit any student.”

But there’s still one problem at hand and that is how students get involved in StuCo? Lucky for the students, the answer is all around the school!

“Students can be more aware by looking at the flyers that are put up in the halls. There are always things around the school that comes from StuCo,” Powell mentioned. 

Since our school was built and opened in the 1950s, StuCo will always be a vital piece of our school. I mean, it’s how we as students put our input about certain aspects of the school that can be improved upon, and even though many students are unaware that we have StuCo, the fact of the matter would be that as long as students have some sort of outlet or contact with StuCo, our voice will always be heard!