Instruments of Air Academy Students

A drum set is a fundamental piece for a music student’s .progression. Photo by Nicolai Schreck.

Music is a very important part of American culture, of students’ lives, of aspiring professionals, and of historical music icons. Many people around Air Academy, the US, and the world play at least one instrument. Playing an instrument is not limited to the AAHS band, as some students form their own bands, go to a dedicated music school, or just play it as a hobby.

Instruments can mean a niche instrument, such as a variety of woodblocks or a vibraphone to iconic band pieces like a guitar or using their voice. Many musicians around the world play instruments for many reasons, ranging from leisure to lengthy careers. Yet, what instruments do AAHS students predominantly play?

Many students play different instruments, including vocals, drums, guitar, and school band instruments like flutes and trumpets.

“I usually use my voice because it takes my mind off of normal life and it’s something I do subconsciously while playing games. It’s an easy escape from life,” sophomore Nick Saxerud expanded.

For some students, playing music has come naturally and at an early age, while for some, they did not start until school, particularly middle school. However, playing for life is also a dream for many musicians.

“I’ve been playing percussion for about six years and plan on playing for as long as I am capable of playing well,” senior Luke Snider stated.

Some students do form their own groups and bands outside of school, but some keep it strictly to education.

“I don’t play in any other groups besides AAHS Band, but I’ve thought about it,” sophomore Elliott Baldwin iterated.

While some students have played in bands for a very long time and very extensively, some have humble beginnings, ranging from starting in high school to starting because of one song.

“I heard a song in 5th grade and switched from trumpet to drums and haven’t looked back,” Baldwin stated.

Some musicians have exact legends as their inspiration, but others just want to have fun without worrying about outsider inspiration.

“I wanted to learn it because a lot of famous singers play guitar and I want to be among the greats that could do it,” freshman Brody Hill explained.

The instruments AAHS students play vary greatly by their interests, skills, heritage, and most importantly, the type of music they prefer. The school, the country, and the world have been influenced heavily by music and varieties of instruments. There will always be various influences on students’ musical interests, ranging from BTS to Jimi Hendrix, the Beatles to Iron Maiden, and Bruno Mars to Rage Against the Machine.

Students looking to try to play should find their influence, their instrument, and their style of play to find it enjoyable. Playing an instrument stimulates brain development unlike much else. Playing instruments is a fun activity done for many different reasons, such as wanting a hobby, a career, or just to have some fun.