Blasts From Your Past Helping You Move Forward

Senior Sean O’Neil captures the moment with his magnificent machine and a pink Colorado sunset behind Blodgett Peak.

Everyone has that special song.

When you hear it, the nostalgia floods your brain and moments from your past rush in. Maybe the song marks an era, maybe it sparked a period of change. Chances are you’ve changed at least slightly since that song was current in your life. Hopefully, you realize that the difference between yourself now and back then is that you’ve grown personally.

Remembering how they have grown from then to now will allow people to continue growing.

There always seems to be a point in one’s past that was less weighed down by responsibilities and relatively carefree. Many people have linked specific songs to these times and can look back and reminisce.

“Stacy’s Mom. Whenever I hear that song it takes me right back to listening to that as an elementary schooler and much simpler times,” said senior Ben Hodge.

Other folks seem to have a song that changed from a favorite to an anthem of positivity through change, a musical memento of good times, and something to hold onto when the going gets rough.

“One of the most important songs from my childhood has to be ‘I Gotta Feeling’ by the Black Eyed Peas. I remember my dad bought the album with that song on it in CD format when it first came out. Throughout my life and whenever I hear it now, the memories creep in, and I find myself at least humming along. It’s a solid reminder for me that even if there’s change, for better or worse, there is always room for fun and a good time,” stated senior Kylie Andrews.

Many people have a song attached to a family member or a loved one. These songs may act as a reminder of this person. Sometimes a special, perhaps even unspoken, bond with someone can come from a shared song.

Senior Emily Render finds a reminder of her brother in songs by Nirvana.

“They’ve gotten me through so many tough times and remind me of my older brother. It was a way of connecting with him because of our huge age gap,” Render said.

Dakota Kinder listening to his hype songs in the Denver International Airport on his way out to an elite club swim meet in Nashville, Tennessee.

For others, this important song may be related to sports and the process of pushing through extreme conditions to reach a set of goals.

“Technomatic’ by Daft Punk or ‘Lose Yourself’ by Eminem. Those songs got me motivated and amped up for swim practice or swim meets. It helped build confidence, strength, and a winning attitude. Those songs bring up memories of striving to be the best in the classroom or the pool and winning at State for club swimming. They kick in my adrenaline and determination,” said junior Dakota Kinder.

Sometimes a particular song just becomes a driving force in the relentless grind for one’s success. A song that doubles as meditation and motivation.

“Kendrick Lamar’s ‘Humble’ is my song…because whenever I hear it, I get hit with the flashback of my progression physically and mentally from freshman year on the treadmill at 180 pounds trying to cut weight to sophomore year and really getting into lifting, to junior year driving to work to make money in order to buy my dream car: my 1990 Corvette that I now as a senior am still driving, and am going to turn into a mean streetcar. It makes me think of how I started with nothing and have kept achieving what I set out to do. The song marks my journey and will continue to do so,” said senior Sean O’Neil.

Perhaps each of these connections to music made by AAHS students helped spark the memory of a specific moment in your past. The connection that only you have. Maybe you thought of your own song to commemorate something significant to you. Either way, music reminds me of the steady hum of life.

Going full circle from your history to your current position should in some way serve as a guide for your future actions.

In the hybrid or online school environment, especially during the second semester when you know summer and freedom are on their way, remembering why it’s worth trying, and keeping in mind what the end goal and next move in sight are, can be detrimental. Stay strong, keep your sense of direction, and use forward-thinking this semester Kadets!