Leprechaun Lifesaver: How to Stay Safe on Saint Patrick’s Day

Saint Patrick’s Day is a great holiday but can potentially be dangerous. Labeled for reuse by Royalty Free Photos.

Brittany Weber, Journalist

From “Kiss Me; I’m Irish,” to the “Luck of the Irish,” many people cause their own unlucky fortunes by celebrating Saint Patrick’s Day in a way that could end fatally.

Whether there’s a designated driver in the group, or an adult who swears not to drink, this day has become notorious for being a drinking holiday.

“People should stay home even if they have a designated driver. If it’s a party, let people stay the night so that no one is risking their lives,” said junior Kevin Ames.

Saint Patrick’s Day or the Feast of Saint Patrick actually began as a cultural and religious celebration for the patron of Ireland, Saint Patrick.

However, the holiday turned into a celebration of Irish culture with parades, foods, music, dancing, drinking and a lot of green.

According to Spoon University, 13 million pints of beer are consumed on Saint Patrick’s Day, with is 81.9% higher than the normal consumption of beer.

To be safe for Saint Patrick’s Day, drinking-age adults can avoid driving when planning to drink for the celebration or tradition they have, and students who avoid going out on the infamous party holiday entirely will be safer.

According to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration, in 2016, 60 people were killed due to drunk driving on Saint Patrick’s Day.

Case by case, who was killed in the accident vary—sometimes the driver died, and sometimes the innocent bystander did for the consumption of one beer. Regardless of whether drinking is planned or not, it can be done in the safety of a home over a pub where people have to find their own ways home.

Most people tend to think that after they’ve “sobered” up for a few hours, they can drive home, but in reality it doesn’t take just a few hours after drinking to become sober. Depending on how much a person has eaten and the account of their body weight, it will vary on how fast the body will actually absorb the alcohol.

“I wouldn’t drive anywhere on St. Patrick’s Day. There are irresponsible people who have too much to drink and decide to drive, which possibly causes harm to others,” said Ames.

According to Drug Rehab, bigger men and women tend to absorb alcohol slower than smaller people. It is also recommended that even after you become sober, it is recommended to wait to drive for at least 12 hours.

Saint Patrick’s Day is supposed to be a holiday that celebrates the Irish culture and those that come from Irish descents; however, many people use it as an excuse to celebrate the number of pints they can drink in one day.

To stay safe on Saint Patrick’s Day, adults must understand that in order to keep themselves and others safe on the roads, they can limit drinking to staying inside their homes or at bars with a designated driver or not do it at all.

Saint Patrick’s Day is not an excuse to get drunk; it is a celebration for proud members and fans of the Irish culture to celebrate the heritage and be thankful for the things that they’ve earned throughout the years.