Stealing the Hearts of the Audience: AAHS Chamber Singers’ CMEA Journey

Jolesch Enterprises

Air Academy High School’s Chamber Singers Choir takes pictures after their performance.

Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

The lights were soft in contrast to the sun beaming in through the windows. The lobby had an office-type smell and there were sounds of the music directors’ discussions ringing through the building.

Every year at the end of January, the Colorado Music Educator’s Association (CMEA) holds a conference where select musical groups from elementary schools, middle schools, high schools, and colleges perform for every music teacher and clinician in the state of Colorado.

Air Academy High School’s Chamber Singers Choir was honored enough to be among these select musical groups.

“When I found out we were singing at CMEA, I didn’t know what it was but assumed it was a big deal and I was excited,” said junior choir student Zoe Foster-Kirchgessner.

“The Air Academy Chamber Singers were accepted into CMEA after the submission of their 2019 CHSAA recording of another piece of mine, ‘Green Mountain.’ I was thrilled to hear about this incredible opportunity for our choir, and even more ecstatic once Ms. Lee asked me to compose another classical piece for our performance at CMEA,” said junior choir student and song composer Joshua Maynard.

The AAHS Chamber Singers performed Vidi Aquam composed by Kevin Padworski, Lux Aeterna composed by Joshua Maynard, Senzeni Na arranged by Karen Walwyn, A Song to the World composed by Kevin Padworski, and Hlohonolofatsa arranged by Daniel Jackson.

“I have performed in Africa two times and loved the music of these beloved people. There is so much joy in their presentation. The arrangement is an African welcome song that greets people with jubilation,” said song composer Daniel Jackson.

“Lux Aeterna was inspired by works like Daniel Elder’s ‘Ballade to the Moon’ and Eric Whitacre’s ‘Light and Gold’ album, which carries intense emotional weight. Contrary part motion and chord clusters fill this piece with a feeling of hope in the face of death, drawing towards an ‘eternal light,'” said Maynard.

Wes Sparkes
Choir director Austina Lee celebrates the choir’s CMEA performance with juniors Kessler Stutzman and Kailyn Jonswold.

While it might seem impossible to learn the songs in just one month, three of the songs were prepared before the end of the 2019 school semester.

“It’s wonderful to hear and see the interpretation that hundreds of choirs have given to the work,” said Jackson.

The choir kept the feeling of jubilation alive as they greeted their audience with smiles and personality for the performance of Hlohonolofatsa.

“Once our pitches (singing the written notes in tune) and rhythms (pattern of short to long notes and pauses) are solidified, dynamics (contrasts of quiet and loud sounds in the music) are the next big hurdle. The swells in the ‘chord stacks’ (notes that create a clash of sound when combined together) can help drive the piece forward. The female voices need to have the dynamic support to allow the guys to enter in full voice,” said Maynard.

Receiving this feedback from their student composer, the choir took the constructive criticism to heart and began to work with his words.

“It definitely changes how I express the music because I’m getting advice from the person who wrote it and it gives me the idea of what emotions I need to convey through this music,” said Foster-Kirchgessner.

The rhythms and beats were different between the songs, but the choir pushed through as a unit and practiced hard to be prepared for their performance. Their struggle to keep tempo while learning their songs and working on pitches was a combination that helped the choir work better together.

Jill Comer
Sophomores Samantha Van Arsdale, Lindsey Comer and Kaylee Stone celebrate their completion of the CMEA performance.

The choir took The Broadmoor Hall in Colorado Springs by storm on Jan. 23, 2020. While for some of the sophomores it would be their second time performing here, it was a first for many of the juniors and seniors.

“The week leading up to CMEA was rough. I could feel the pressure building and everyone was stressed because we are a group of perfectionists. The stress and hard work was challenging, but very worth it,” said sophomore choir student Kaylee Stone.

It wasn’t the struggle or the constant feedback that made the choir perform with their hearts at CMEA, however. For each student, the choir represents an important aspect of their life that helps them through their struggles.

“Music is my everything. I find a certain feeling when I am composing, singing, writing or playing music. It makes the world seem at peace and I can just replace all my sorrow with music,” said Stone.

“Music has always helped me through hard times and I always look to inspire others through powerful pieces. I believe music has an extraordinary power to draw people together, and I absolutely love creating those experiences for singers,” said Maynard.

“Music is so important to me because it’s a way to convey emotions. It’s a sense of community while creating something beautiful,” said Foster-Kirchgessner.

Music is a valuable part of high schoolers’ everyday lives. It helps them to focus on work, cope with stress, and bond with their fellow peers.

Austina Lee
AAHS received a Certificate of Award at the Colorado Music Educator’s Association Conference.

The choir received an award for their contribution and achievement as a performing group at the CMEA conference.

The experience was an amazing opportunity that allowed several choir students to bring themselves onto the stage. Before the performance, Austina Lee, the choir director, built up excitement and told the students to bring themselves out during their performance.

This one little piece of advice helped the choir to control their performance and leave the audience in awe with a standing ovation.

By expressing the emotions embedded in their songs, the choir showed their hearts to the world.