Concerts: What Makes the Show Go On?

Sophomore Logan Mahwhiney and friends enjoy AJR’s incredible display at their Red Rocks show.

Imagine this: you’re standing in the front few rows of a dim, hazy arena as heat radiates off the stage lights. People stand around you in a giant, bubbling mass.

You’ve been waiting for this show for what seems like forever. You hear others around you excitedly talking about what song they want to hear and the last show they went to.

Suddenly, everyone goes silent.

The noise of the crowd is snuffed out as figures appear behind the curtain.

Upon the drop of the curtain and outbreak of song, a roaring tsunami of excitement plows past you and onto the stage toward the oncoming performers. The concert has begun.

It’s crazy how a singular person or group of people can bring so many together.

According to junior Gavyn McGough, the vast world of metal brings people together.  

“It’s such a close-knit community so it allows people who don’t know each other to find a common ground,” said McGough.

Every person has unique tastes, different interpretations, backgrounds and lives; however, music tends to level all differences and people become one excited, responsive entity. 

A concert is a concert no matter where; however, the venue can dictate the crowd’s experience.

“I think outside is best because it’s more fun and it’s more open and the atmosphere is cooler,” said freshman Bailey Hotz, who likes country music.

Hotz also thinks that everyone should go out to a concert and have that experience. “It’s different than just listening to music because you’re actually there and it sounds better.” 

In addition to the venue, seating in the venue can impact a concert experience. Many students or fans prefer sitting in the front row to avoid obstructions to their view.

“The front row [is better] because you interact more. In the stands, you are more disconnected. Upfront you can see better,” stated junior Tori Cubas.

Cubas’s most recent concert was the y96.9 Back Road Country Fest 2019.

Junior Tori Cubas’s view of The Gone West Band at the Back Roads Country Fest hosted by local radio station Y96.9.

Connecting with the crowd is pivotal. If the crowd isn’t involved and interested, then they won’t have a good time.

“The ideal concert really engages the audience. When Jack from AJR actually appeared from behind the screen, it was timed so perfectly. You just saw the whole audience’s jaws simultaneously drop. And fire or anything dangerous doesn’t hurt,” informed senior Anna Zafira Conklin, AJR fan.

“I think what makes a good concert experience is the energy that the band has because whatever energy the band has the audience will have. And in metal bands they have a lot of energy so it makes for a fast-paced show,” said McGough.

Junior Mike Johnson, who partakes, in choir, Montage and theater believes that a good concert “[Is] a mix between [crowd and performer] for a performance. You can’t have an energetic crowd if you don’t have an energetic performer.” 

From a performance perspective, there are things that they look for in a crowd that help make a concert the best it can be. 

“In a crowd, it’s probably engagement, like you’re not going to want to have fun if your audience isn’t into it,” informed Johnson.

Music is its own whole universe. With so many bands and so many songs, every person can find music that may open their soul. Music evokes incredible emotions and moves a person. The impact that a certain riff or melody and lyrics can have on a person is incredible.

And how can this feeling be improved? Seeing it all live.