From Undead to Dead: Halloween is The Deadliest Day of The Year

A pumpkin goes up in smoke. Photo taken by Colton Sturgeon and labeled for reuse by unsplash.com

High blood sugar isn’t all you need to worry about during this spooky season. Halloween is known as the ‘Deadliest Day of The Year’ when it comes to student drivers.

Whether you look forward to Halloween night or not, there are plenty of precautions parents and students need to follow to keep safe on this spooky evening. 

How should students stay safe?

Dean of Students and parent of two children Julie Attias said students should “stick together in groups, don’t be curious and stay in the well-lit areas.”

Having fun on Halloween isn’t anything new, and there is certainly nothing wrong with it, but a student can still have fun and keep basic safety rules in place.

Stats show that Halloween is the deadliest day when it comes to mixing kids, candy, and cars. Statistics say drivers from the ages 15-26 are one-third more likely to fatally injure children from ages five to 15 than older drivers, and that’s not mixing in things like alcohol, drugs, or anything that can distort judgment. 

The curfew for minors and new drivers is 11 p.m., and it’s there for a reason; the later students are out the more drunk, tired, and vision-impaired drivers they are likely to cross paths with on the roads. This is why the stats for fatalities on Halloween are so high; new drivers out having fun have more factors to worry about when going from point A to point B on Halloween night than on normal nights.

Aaron Baker is a part of the AAHS security team. Baker raised five boys and he made sure that they always knew the rules: “NO drinking; if you go to a party, don’t touch the alcohol. When it gets dark, make sure you have your  headlights on.”

Bakers’ point should ring in the ears of all drivers when behind the wheel; “[A]n average of 5.5 fatalities [occur] each year on October 31, which is more than double the average number of 2.6 fatalities for other days,” according to Best Place. 

The website also stated that 48% of fatal accidents on Halloween involve alcohol. Students should be careful to drive sober and keep an eye out for drunk drivers on the roads.

Getting from house to house by car or by foot is not worth risking the life of either a child or yourself.

To have a safe Halloween, experts recommend the following:

• Leave early
  • Stay in groups
  • Stay in one spot for the night
  • Drive sober
  • Be alert

Halloween is all around a fun holiday, and there is nothing wrong with celebrating and having a good time; however, students must make sure to avoid crossing lines that could harm anybody, including themselves.

Parents, students, and trick or treaters should keep an eye out and have a happy Halloween!