Athletes Share Their Off-Season Activities

A visual representation of students missing from the gym after season.

Well, the season is over.

What will you do now? 

That is the burning question many student-athletes ask themselves. From the end of the final cross country race to the last game of tennis, fall sports are ending and athletes have found themselves in a realm of free time…and many options on how to spend it.

For many students, the time between sports and seasons can be freeing or even boring. It can be difficult for athletes to find out how to spend their time. Should they go to the gym and stay in shape? Should they relax and take a break, or maybe should they catch up on the missing math assignment due last week?

Even with the chance of new found freedom of time, for some, the workout never ends.

“I do some basic training runs afterward and just try to keep up,” said senior Wade Poltenovage.

This is Poltenovage’s second year of doing cross country; before that, he was part of Air Academy’s tennis program. After cross country ends, Poltenovage plans on doing swim in the spring.

“I do sports primarily to stay fit… I’m not the biggest fan of running but it will keep me fit so I do it,” said Poltenovage. 

Some students don’t let themselves take a break, but other students at least take a second to breathe.

“I take a short break and then get back to working…I think most athletes want to relax after a tough season,” said junior Joshua Hammer.

Hammer is a part of the Air Academy’s wrestling team. His off-season may be long but for him, it’s also only a short break before jumping back into work.

“Wrestling keeps me occupied so I feel like I need to do something after season ends,” said Hammer.

Despite participating in different sports and different breaks, both Hammer and Poltenovage decide to spend off-seasons staying fit and ready for the next year and next sport. 

“Some people do take more of a break,” said Poltenovage. Many athletes are tired after their season and tend to take it slow while they have the time.

“I think most athletes want to relax after a tough season,” said Hammer.

“It’s always nice to have free time so that you can relax” sophomore Liberty Zavorka said.

Zavorka is on Air Academy’s cheerleading team. She began cheerleading as a freshman last year. “I enjoy it. The team is like a second family to me; plus, we have a lot of fun,” Zavorka said.

For many students, that break is holy. From spending time with friends or just resting while they can, students can love the sport and the break that comes with its conclusion.

The off-season is a fairly mixed term, though as it seems that many athletes continue to work out and keep the season going well after the last game. While the ending has arrived for fall sports, the athletes are just getting started.