The Past, Present and Future of Air Academy High School DECA Club

DECA (Distributive Education Clubs of America) is a nationwide program that sets up future business leaders for success by rewarding them rare experience opportunities and great material for college applications and job resumes.

The DECA club was first brought into Air Academy over 25 years ago by Jayne Brent, the previous DECA teacher. 

The students who are in the DECA club say that they are very passionate about the club. The confidence it has given them to get out into the real world and strive to be a leader not only in the business world but in whatever field they find is their passion.

Students don’t only seem to receive academic success from joining DECA, but also have received friendships and memories that will last them a lifetime.

The DECA club brings students all around the Colorado area and even to other states to complete with other schools. 

Vice president senior William Markworth, an officer of two years, has been in the DECA club for three years.

“It’s just helped me a lot with real world situations, like job interviews. I got two jobs just like and this helped a lot and then it kind of just showed me what I want to do for the rest of my life,” said Markworth.  

The hype about DECA has stirred up some curiosity among the Air Academy community as many new students join.

DECA teacher, Ally Johnson has done an amazing job with marketing Kadet Coffee with her classes and across the whole school. She is also in getting the word out to all the kids with DECA on their transcripts about the fun and opportunities FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America) and DECA club can reward members.

Students that joined DECA for the 2019-2020 school year are all excited to live out all the fun things the alumni of DECA have talked so much about. 

“I am excited to work with other people and be able to see where I match up with everyone else in competition and I would like to go far,” said junior Clayton Cox, a new member of the DECA club.

“The topics [we] have to work on are actually fun and it’s not like some sort of class or chore and Mrs. J is a really great teacher,” Cox said.

Students at Air Academy didn’t just join to be with their friends but some kids joined because their parents were already leaders in the business world. Students like junior Tessa More had brothers who were involved in DECA when they were students at AAHS. More’s mom also used to be a judge for the DECA role play competitions.

Over 20 new students have been enrolled in the DECA club this year and the AAHS community cannot wait to see the places they go this year and the heights they will reach in their lifetime.