Exposed: Rivalry of the Kadets and the Indians

A group of AAHS juniors smiling at the white out football game at Cheyenne Mountain, captured moments after cups full of flour were thrown in the cold air. (Top row left to right: Carter Wood, Megan Pharris, Casey Hogan. Bottom row left to right: Acacia Ryska, Callissa Steel, Parmida Mahdavi.)

The cold bleachers are filled with teenagers with painted faces of their school colors. Each moment of the game is filled with loud chants, laughs and the endless tension of competition. Maroon flags raised against blue ones, this is not an ordinary high school game, it’s between the rivals, Cheyenne Mountain High School Indians and Air Academy High School Kadets.

Back in the 80s, only two schools were established in Academy District 20, Rampart High School and Air Academy High School. This particular scenario created rivalry between the rams and the Kadets.

For decades the two schools were extremely competitive with each other, but as more schools were rising in Colorado Springs, the Kadets had their eyes set on a new target. Over the course of the years, CMHS and AAHS became competitive rivals.

“In my opinion it all started because the two are very similar schools, pretty similar student body, and pretty similar success in sports and academics,” said AAHS athletics director Blue Anderson.

The indians are considered quiet isolated, as they are the only high school of their district. So, when seeking rival school of similar attributes and close proximity, there is no wonder that the Kadets were an obvious choice.

Besides AAHS and CMHS, the only other high school on the west side of Colorado Springs is Coronado High School, which does not quiet rise to the same level of competition. 

During a game/meet/match between the two rivals, the crowds are always larger and students are always carrying more spirit and school pride than against other schools. However, managing the behavior of students when it comes to the intensity of these games can be difficult, yet Anderson commented that after the first warning, the inappropriate behaviors in the stands tends to stop.

“It’s so much more hype, so many people go and kids gets rowdy. Some kids get thrown out or yelled at by Mr. Olson. Bleachers get broken and we scream chants across the field. Football games are always the most interesting,” said AAHS junior Brayden White.

The students and staff at AAHS are not the only ones who notice the difference between competitions, as the CMHS student body behaves similarly.

“So many people show up to Air Academy games just to know how the game went down and who won,” said CMHS junior Katrina Duron.

One of the most memorable games from this school year was the football game on September 21. The night was frigid, and the bleachers at the CMHS football field were packed with students wrapped in blankets and covered in face paint.

The theme of the game was white out, and to announce this to the whole stadium, the Kadets (with permission, of course) threw cups filled with flour in the air. The outcome was messy and flour stuck to clothes, got into eyes and mouths, and laid all beneath the bleachers. The passionate students in the stands cheered their players on with beaming smiles.

Though the two high schools are competitive rivals who like to have their fun, they also maintain a high level of respect for one another. After the passing of CMHS senior basketball player Kendall Robinson earlier in the year, the Kadets paid their respect at the rival game on January 16 by wearing yellow ribbons. This was an act to honor Robinson and to motivate the heavy hearts of the players to fight on for their lost teammate.

From this potent rivalry has risen memorable games, new developed traditions and ever lasting friendships. A high school rivalry is more than a target of competition, it is the core foundation of the strongest school spirit consumed by students who crave the unforgettable experience.