High School Students and Coping with Stress

High School and Coping with stress.

High school is adventurous, chaotic, and as all student’s know, stressful. As high school students are pressured with multiple assignments, tests, and the lingering idea of college, many don’t realize the toll it can take on their bodies and minds.

What is stress and how does it impact students in high school?

Stress can impact a student’s life in a negative way. Anxiety can be excessive and persistent in many situations. For some, stress can even be a daily battle. Studies of student stress levels have described this mental strain as an epidemic.

An article from The Hill gave statistics concerning the negative impacts stress can have on students’ lives. 

“The American Psychological Association’s Stress in America survey found that 30 percent of teens reported feeling sad or depressed because of stress and 31 percent felt overwhelmed. Another 35 percent of teens reported that stress caused them to lie awake at night…”

As anxiety is increasing among high school students, Air Academy High School students reveal the truth behind the pressure that high school has brought. As seniors are approaching their graduation day, the impending worry of grades and college plans intensifies.

Senior Bonnie Yinger describes the way her high school experience has changed.

“ I would say [high school] has taught me to manage stress a lot better, but it has raised it overall. There are things I wish I wouldn’t have stressed out so much about in past years of going through high school, but overall [high school] has been a ride,” she said.

Yinger continued, noting that assignments have been an overall stress and can be overwhelming, to a point where she has no motivation to complete assignments.

The pile of up of assignments, tests and extracurricular activities can become overwhelming and monotonous, blocking enjoyment for students.

New York University (NYU) wrote an article analyzing the results of a study of high school students. As they observed these students, they found that chronic stress effected their mental health, along with their physical health. Completing daily tasks, such as going to school, caused distress in students.

In the article, Noelle Leonard, a research scientist at the NYU College of Nursing described a normal day for the students.

“School, homework, extracurricular activities, sleep, repeat—that’s what it can be for some of these students,” Leonard stated.

Teachers have a first hand look at stress. Students look to teachers when they are in need of help and are feeling completely overwhelmed.

In regards to the issue of students coping with stress, math teacher Kimberly Madden explained a helpful way to be organized and lessen the overwhelmed feeling.

“Write everything down, what you have to do and when they are due. I think being able to write things down can help organize and space out when you have to do certain assignments,” Madden said.

The paramount stressor for students is handling assignments. Students are tasked with many classes that give out multiple assignments and tests, which can feel overwhelming. The amount of assignments can effect how a student’s mind and body feel overall.

Sophomore Maya Burton described the hardest part of school that affects her stress level.

“Honestly, for me, my science classes are a challenge and bring my stress level up,” Burton said.

Burton said she advocates for herself with a balance of talking with her teachers and just pushing through her work.

When Yinger was asked how her teachers respond to her coming for help, she described an environment that took her seriously and worked to help her.

“Here at Air Academy I feel like we have really great teacher student communication. Overall, the teachers are good with helping students when they are overwhelmed,” Yinger stated.

High school staff encourage any student who is overwhelmed by stress to seek help from their counselor, who can help students understand the complex maze of high school.