Filed under Activities

Get Out and Enjoy The Winter Weather!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Get Out and Enjoy The Winter Weather!

Ice skating is a great way to enjoy the winter weather! Labeled for reuse by geograph.com.

When the weather outside is frightful, and the fire is so delightful, people might be convinced to cuddle up at home with a blanket and a cup of steaming hot chocolate. But winter is much more than a time to watch holiday movies. It’s the perfect time to enjoy the outdoors in ways that are impossible during the other three seasons.

According to the National Ski Areas Association, 9.8 million people went skiing and/or snowboarding in 2011. However, while skiing is a massive industry with many devoted participants, it is not for everyone. Some might be discouraged by the long drives required to get to ski areas, and others are unable to afford the hefty costs of lift tickets and gear.

Nonetheless, there are many other options.

Another popular activity is ice skating, which is convenient because many people have a rink nearby their house. There are a plethora to choose from in Colorado, including four in Colorado Springs. Ice skating is more accessible because it doesn’t require an extreme time commitment. It also is less expensive. While a one day lift ticket at the Vail resort in Colorado cost $135 per adult, single session passes for Sertich Ice Center cost $6.25 cents.

Ice skating could also be a better option health wise. It is a low-impact activity and easy on your joints. This means that there are not as many potential dangers in ice skating, whereas in skiing, knee injuries plague long time participants in the sport.

Another alternative is snowshoeing. While it may be a more physically taxing activity than ice skating, it is hard to find as beautiful of views anywhere else. There are over 40 state parks in Colorado in which you can snowshoe.  An annual pass for state and national parks, which costs $70, is less expensive than a single day of skiing at Vail resort.

Snowshoeing is an incredibly healthy activity. Each hour of snowshoeing can burn as many as 1030 calories.  The fresh air of the outdoors has proved to increase the production of serotonin, which helps you feel relaxed.

A pair of snowshoes can cost anywhere from $45 to $200, which may seem expensive at first, but they can be used over and over for years to come.

Perhaps the greatest thing about snowshoeing is that you can do it anywhere. A trip to a state park or hiking trail is only optional, you can snowshoe anywhere that you normally walk.

Winter does not have to be a season where we stay huddled up in our homes. There are many ways to get out and enjoy nature differently than you can in other seasons, and snow can turn from an excuse for staying in, to a reason to get out.