Filed under Feature

Help with Safe2tell

Back to Article
Back to Article

Help with Safe2tell

A Safe2Tell poster with the ACT acronym, representing what the program is about.

In today’s community, a growing issue continues to advance. Abusive relationships, drugs, self harm and suicide rates have advanced in Colorado. According to the Center For Disease Controls (CDC), suicide rates have risen 35% percent since 1999 in Colorado. For most this hits close to home.

According to the site, Safe2Tell Colorado gives YOU a safe, anonymous way to help someone who is struggling or hurting. Learn what to look for, what to listen for, and what to report.

Safe2Tell is a report system that can be messaged by messaging or calling. Students need to report the name, age, school and descriptions of what they’re reporting. Teenagers could be going through a difficult time, and it’s the perfect way to report something seen.

“For Air Academy [Safte2Tell] has been good because it has been an anonymous report for anyone to use to report things like suicide, self harm and abusive relationships,” said Erica Riggs, counselor of names L-Z.

Whether it’s drugs, violence, bullying, or reports of any kind of abuse, Safe2tell is the place to go. Social Media and screenshots can be attached to the report if an online submission report is done.

Calling Safe2Tell is always an option and everyone always stays anonymous. 

“After school hours, the police department gets the report, while during hours, the school can take action,” said Riggs.

Bullying is something to take seriously, but there are other things to be considered when reporting something to Safe2tell. Not everything seen needs to stay in the dark. Situations like abuse must be reported, and if people see something, they need to say something!

Recently, Colorado has ranked first for underage vaping. With reports like those from Safe2tell, people can help stop the rising numbers in high schools all over Colorado. According to CPR.org, 27 percent of minors now use e-cigarettes.

Also, Safe2tell has recently set out training for active school shooter defense for federal commission for school safety members. This will enhance safety in our community moving forward. However, our school still needs information in reports on the events before taking place.

“I think Safe2tell helps all types of people,” said sophomore Joey Polaski.

Simple changes can make all the difference in our communities.

If there’s anyone in need, report to https://safe2tell.org. One call or message can make the difference between life or death.

(For more information on vaping at Air Academy, visit Sophia’s story or Peter’s story.)

About the Writer
Avery Lenocker, Journalist

It is my first year writing for the Jet Stream Journal and I am very excited for this new opportunity! I am also an Air Academy cheerleader. I am a sophomore...