Filed under Feature

The Benefits of Bilingualism: Becoming a National Treasure

A Chinese jade jewelry factory; photo taken while a student was on the CCAI Adoption Tour.

What do bald eagles, the Declaration of Independence and bilingual people have in common? In America, they are all considered national treasures.

Multilingualism is vital to everyone and anyone currently enrolled in school or looking for an academic challenge. Knowing another language has proven to be beneficial for academic success. According to Psychology Today, “Language management calls upon executive functions such as attention control, cognitive inhibition and and working memory.”

Understanding another language improves creativity and critical thinking skills, therefore making the mastery of other topics- such as math and science, easier. Junior Sydney Pruitt, who has been fluent in Spanish since seventh grade, said, “I think my ability to write in Spanish has improved my writing in English.”

More than understanding the concrete structure of the language, multilingual people appreciate comprehending the culture that surrounds the words they are learning. Sophomore Stephanie Lawrence said, “It’s really interesting to talk to people and hear their different colloquial phrases, you learn things with more depth that way.”

Furthermore, most of the larger United States companies are rapidly globally expanding, putting offices in major cities all around the world. Being able to communicate with those offices in a polite and understandable manner is of the utmost value to potential employers. Even though someone with more knowledge about the specific field may be applying for the same job, businesses will often prioritize bilingualism over experience.

“Being bilingual is almost nothing but beneficial,” said College and Career Counselor Eric Beers. “Knowing another language increases anyone’s chances of getting accepted into college, or hired for a competitive job.”

In regards to education opportunities, multilingualism has almost become the norm for applicants. With the heavy competition that surrounds the college atmosphere, applications that highlight knowledge of a foreign language reflect a cultured and mature student. As with companies, colleges favor multilingual students over practically anyone else. Universities also offer programs and opportunities specifically designed for students with knowledge of a foreign language. 

Along with the academic, career and cultural benefits, bilingual people appreciate the little things their unique skill set provides. Senior Nico Leonard, an avid soccer fan, loves to listen to the spectators watching his games.

“I appreciate knowing when people are cussing me out,” he said.

In this day and age, the finer things in life are often international delicacies. IKEA, Swiss chocolate and bilingual people are all valuable treasures that are beloved by countries across the globe.    

About the Writer
Katie Lark, Journalist

Hey guys! I'm Katie Lark and I am a sophomore here. This is my first year with the Jetstream Journal and I am super excited to make people laugh and cry,...