The Battle of the Beans: Are you Pro-Starbucks or Pro-Dutch Bros?

by sophia dukart

Two popular drinks from the two competitors.

There are two types of people in this world: people who go to Dutch Bros Coffee, zipping in and out of its drive-through, and people who go to Starbucks to sit down and enjoy their coffee in a quieter environment.

Out of 187 students from AAHS who responded to a poll on the subject, 73 percent voted that Dutch is the better drink and 27 percent voted Starbucks the better drink.

Most students at AAHS agree that Dutch is the more “hip” and lively place to go to get a drink when they are feeling parched. Students are drawn to Dutch for its wide variety of flavors and types of drinks.

“They have more options, and the options that they have appeal more to me than Starbucks, which is just coffee and tea,” senior Sarah Hine stated.

“It [Dutch Bros coffee] is less bitter than Starbucks and the line moves faster,” junior Tyler Doolittle added.

The seemingly endless customization of Dutch drinks draws in the dedicated customers who can go through either side of a drive-through. At Dutch, customers can have their drinks blended, iced or hot. They have cold drinks such as lemonades, smoothies, sodas, teas, rebels and coffees, to name a few.

There are a variety of fruity flavors customers can have added to their drinks to satisfy their specific cravings.

A minority of students from the poll think Starbucks is the way to go when in need of a drink. Students who are “Pro-Starbucks” have come to the consensus that the coffee is better in quality. Starbucks to them is just what they need.

Customers can go through a drive-through or sit down and enjoy their drink there. The beans from Starbucks coffee come from all over the world, and Starbucks also allows customers to buy bags of their coffee beans to give as gifts.

Students also agree that Starbucks provides a more professional and  traditional coffee shop experience. The environment, for the students that say Starbucks is the better place to go, is a more relaxing place and a great place for studying.

“They have a less complicated [beverage] menu…and you can sit down…and they also have food,” junior Laila Dawood added.

These “Pro-Starbucks” students take issue with the overwhelming options available at Dutch, creating a menu they feel is convoluted. Dutch Customers also cannot sit down inside and enjoy their drink when they are wanting to relax. Additionally, they point out that Dutch can get really busy, carrying lots of traffic.

On the other hand, Dutch fans noted that Starbucks also can get busy during its rush hours and tends to get behind on orders. Starbucks also has a reputation of roasting their beans for too long which causes the coffee to taste burnt, bitter, and to be lacking in flavor.

Whether “Pro-Dutch” or “Pro-Starbucks”, we can all appreciate a sugary, caffeinated beverage.