Filed under Activities

Orchestra Prepares for A New Season

Back to Article
Back to Article

Orchestra Prepares for A New Season

Senior Jordan Hubbard (left) and freshman Logan Fairhurst (right) practicing their Solo and Ensemble music piece.

Air Academy High School: known for its award-winning marching band, is an educational institution recognized for performing arts. Although this is true, most forget about the school’s orchestra program.

Directed by Vanessa Lyttle, the orchestra is made up of hard-working and dedicated students, who possess a passion for string instruments. With four sections consisting of violins, violas, cellos, and basses, the group presents a variety of different talents and techniques. Talents include anything from fine execution of sound to the ability to fiddle, while techniques include vibrato and shifting.

This year, the orchestra will have two school-based performances. One is in the winter, while the other is in the spring. The winter performance will include pieces from a few of the most popular classics, including from the Peanuts series, while the spring pieces will be American classics.

“They are complex, but joyful,” Lyttle said.

The orchestra is preparing for school performances, as well as festivals, solo and ensemble presentations, and a state competition. To perform well for these shows, students are required to not only practice during the designated class period, but also at home. This means that those involved in the orchestra must balance expanding their musical knowledge with their jobs and homework.

However, some people have conflicting opinions  about the music program.

“I love the violin, but I hate orchestra,” said senior Jordan Hubbard, “But it all comes together in the end, which is really rewarding.”

Students in the orchestra are required to practice as a group, which is a struggle for some. Challenging as this may be, students in the class seem to balance these struggles with ease.

A common question that comes about with the orchestra class is, “How are students graded?” Students are graded on their ability to show their knowledge of concepts learned in class by doing playing tests. These tests take place every three to four weeks to demonstrate student participation and understanding.

Stay tuned for more details about the upcoming winter concert.

About the Writer
Leilani Hammonds, Copy Editor

Hello there! My name is Leilani and I'm a Copy Editor for the Jetsream, and a senior at AAHS. I'm currently part of the Orchestra playing violin, and the...