Remodeling Costs: Is it Worth the Price?

This is the new library, it was just remodeled over the summer.

Over $7 million was spent on Air Academy’s reconstruction project, but was it worth it?

Kadets have shown contrasting opinions on the new library, bathrooms and the substantial reconstruction of B-Building. It was hard sacrificing their lockers, classrooms, and time, but was it for a good cause?

“The B-Building construction is annoying and is obstructing the teaching and where the teachers are,” said sophomore Lisa Aiken.

Not only do students have their opinions on this issue, but teachers do as well.

“I think anytime we improve where students are learning it is amazing,” said Librarian Katy Sebben. “I can see more kids come in and learn, and more kids using the rooms and computers.”

Theater Director Susan Manst commented on some of the design features of the construction.

“I love the new bathrooms in Lower D, they are so beautiful,” she said.

Coming into this article, I thought that the money for this projected was wasted on small things. However, a statement made by Principal Dan Olson changed my mind.

“The money received from the school bond election from 2016 asked taxpayers for more money, and out of that money they put $7,500,000 to AAHS,” said Olsen. “A bunch of people came and talked about the needs, and came up with a list.  With this money we are trying to make this school a very nice facility for our students, we hope everyone likes all the work that’s been done.”

After hearing from Olson and everyone who chipped in to make this project possible, I decided that they did this to better AAHS. 

I am impressed by what the school spent their money on.

*K-Dome – $800,000

*B-Building – $5,000,000

*Auditorium – $250,000

*Lower-D Bathrooms – $140,000

*Library – $800,000

*Mrs.Haley’s Classroom – $120,000

*Furniture – $120,000

*A-Building – $500,000

Clearly, our school is going to look very snazzy after the construction is done. We are going to be a head-turning school, and everyone is going to be amazed to see all the things the school board has done. I think the students should appreciate what the school has done and helped our learning environment.

The students here at AAHS should have the best pride and school spirit after this. I am proud to be here at Air Academy, and to walk into this wonderful place each and every day, and I am so thankful that  the school is doing this for us.

Once a Kadet always a Kadet.