Filed under Feature, Showcase

Dances: Say Yes or Stress?

The perspective of the DJ at the 2017 glow dance at Air Academy High school- photo by Rokbox Entertainment

The start of school can be a stressful time, especially with all the new classes and schedules.  Yet a great way to have some fun and let loose during school is at dances.  For some people, dances are a great way to hang out with friends and completely let loose.  However, for others, school dances are not their type of environment: seeing their fellow classmates go crazy and the loud music with bright lights.

Dances only happen a few times during the school year and the closest one that is coming up is Homecoming.  Homecoming is a stressful time for guys and girls, as guys are trying to figure out what girl to ask.  As the girls are just hoping and waiting for some guy to ask them with a cliche sign and some flowers.  Then after that, you need to get all the dinner plans together and pick a house to take pictures at.  A lot of people prefer to just go with a group of friends, as you don’t need to work out all the details with different dates.

“School dances are a stressful time because you never know who you are going with until the week before and then you have to plan everything in very short time, I just think people make it a bigger deal then it actually is” says sophomore Kate Nelson.

After all the hours spent dressing up and taking pictures, you will finally go to the actual dance.  For most people, the music they play at the dance is very important because it is what gets everyone pumped up in the first place – as well as the type of DJ and decorations that just add more fun to the dance.

“The type of music that they play is really a make or break for me, if the music is good the dance is good, and if the music is bad the dance is bad,” states sophomore Allison Torres.

Many people wonder how the school comes up with the dances and the themes.  The team behind these dances is the Student Council, who comes up with the theme of the dance and decorates the environment.  They also come up with a music playlist, which is one of the most important factors of a dance.

“We get together as a group and shout out ideas than write them down,” says sophomore Kendal Smith, a member StuCo. “Afterwards we narrow down our favorite ideas and vote for a final theme.”

“Normally someone is assigned to make a playlist.  But for dances that are more music-oriented, like MORP, we all write down songs we think people would appreciate and someone makes the playlist to give to the DJ,” says sophmore Abby Murphy, another StuCo member.

Dances can be a way to have a lot of fun with friends and just let loose.  Yet, for others, the stress of a date and planning is not worth the fun.

1 Comment

One Response to “Dances: Say Yes or Stress?”

1. Peter Grot on October 1st, 2018 1:22 pm

For me, dances are definitely stressful. If you don’t get a date, you get insecure. If you see everyone at the dance with someone, then you become insecure AND depressed. Nice writing with various points of view, but try and get more upperclassmen and freshmen for a possible diverse response.

*

• Dances: Say Yes or Stress?

Feature

The History of the Kadets

• Dances: Say Yes or Stress?

Feature

Ouija Boards: Horror or Hoax?

• Dances: Say Yes or Stress?

Feature

Halloween At AAHS Through The Years

• Dances: Say Yes or Stress?

Feature

The Unexplainable Super Bond Between Twins

• Dances: Say Yes or Stress?

Feature

How Addicting Are Your Favorite Foods?

• Dances: Say Yes or Stress?

Feature

Students Support First Responders in Art Contest

• Dances: Say Yes or Stress?

Feature

How Are the Vending Machines Doing?

• Dances: Say Yes or Stress?

Feature

Where Did All the Lockers Go?

• Dances: Say Yes or Stress?

Feature

The Mess You’ve Made: Why We Need to Focus on Cleanliness

• Dances: Say Yes or Stress?

Feature

Chatty Cathys or Babbling Bobs?

Dances: Say Yes or Stress?