Filed under Feature, Showcase

Dances: Say Yes or Stress?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Dances: Say Yes or Stress?

The perspective of the DJ at the 2017 glow dance at Air Academy High school- photo by Rokbox Entertainment

The start of school can be a stressful time, especially with all the new classes and schedules.  Yet a great way to have some fun and let loose during school is at dances.  For some people, dances are a great way to hang out with friends and completely let loose.  However, for others, school dances are not their type of environment: seeing their fellow classmates go crazy and the loud music with bright lights.

Dances only happen a few times during the school year and the closest one that is coming up is Homecoming.  Homecoming is a stressful time for guys and girls, as guys are trying to figure out what girl to ask.  As the girls are just hoping and waiting for some guy to ask them with a cliche sign and some flowers.  Then after that, you need to get all the dinner plans together and pick a house to take pictures at.  A lot of people prefer to just go with a group of friends, as you don’t need to work out all the details with different dates.

“School dances are a stressful time because you never know who you are going with until the week before and then you have to plan everything in very short time, I just think people make it a bigger deal then it actually is” says sophomore Kate Nelson.

After all the hours spent dressing up and taking pictures, you will finally go to the actual dance.  For most people, the music they play at the dance is very important because it is what gets everyone pumped up in the first place – as well as the type of DJ and decorations that just add more fun to the dance.

“The type of music that they play is really a make or break for me, if the music is good the dance is good, and if the music is bad the dance is bad,” states sophomore Allison Torres.

Many people wonder how the school comes up with the dances and the themes.  The team behind these dances is the Student Council, who comes up with the theme of the dance and decorates the environment.  They also come up with a music playlist, which is one of the most important factors of a dance.

“We get together as a group and shout out ideas than write them down,” says sophomore Kendal Smith, a member StuCo. “Afterwards we narrow down our favorite ideas and vote for a final theme.”

“Normally someone is assigned to make a playlist.  But for dances that are more music-oriented, like MORP, we all write down songs we think people would appreciate and someone makes the playlist to give to the DJ,” says sophmore Abby Murphy, another StuCo member.

Dances can be a way to have a lot of fun with friends and just let loose.  Yet, for others, the stress of a date and planning is not worth the fun.

9 Comments

9 Responses to “Dances: Say Yes or Stress?”

1. Bailey Spriggs on October 1st, 2018 7:57 am

Hey Kate. This is super good. I was on the edge of my seat! It was informative, descriptive and just so well done. I think you have a real future in journalism.

2. Peter Dunbar on October 1st, 2018 11:53 am

This Was my first time at a dance and I agree that finding a date is hard and going with a group is way more easy.

3. Sabastian Kirk on October 1st, 2018 12:00 pm

i had a breakup av few weeks before the dance, but honestly, i do agree, you don’t need a date, you can just go with friends, and either way, personally, a dance is a good time to let loose and have fun. My homecoming was spent with the band at legace marching festival , still fun, but i wish i was able to go, and i thank the writer of this story because it can show benefits and downfalls of going to a dance

4. Kendal Smith on October 1st, 2018 1:21 pm

You’ve got some really valid points! I never thought of the two perspectives towards school dances.

5. Peter Grot on October 1st, 2018 1:22 pm

For me, dances are definitely stressful. If you don’t get a date, you get insecure. If you see everyone at the dance with someone, then you become insecure AND depressed. Nice writing with various points of view, but try and get more upperclassmen and freshmen for a possible diverse response.

6. Angela Smith on October 1st, 2018 1:24 pm

I really like how you included quotes from other students. These quotes support your claim about the school dances.

7. Capri Dewing on October 1st, 2018 1:26 pm

I totally agree with what Katelyn is talking about here! Dances can be super fun and enjoyable, but the music, theme, and trying to figure out a date can totally affect how much fun the experience ends up being.

8. Tai on October 1st, 2018 1:27 pm

I think this article is great it really shows how dances work and what they’re all about. I mostly like how it shows not only the students who attend dances side but also the team that is responsible for the dances. This article is great. Keep up the work!

9. Allison Torres on October 2nd, 2018 1:20 pm

Great job kp!!

*

• Dances: Say Yes or Stress?

Feature

Is it Soda or Pop?

• Dances: Say Yes or Stress?

Feature

Gym Class Can Help Extend Your Life

• Dances: Say Yes or Stress?

Feature

Random Acts of Kindness and the Impact They Make On Communties

• Dances: Say Yes or Stress?

Feature

What Vegetarians do on Thanksgiving

• Dances: Say Yes or Stress?

Feature

Should Students Stand for the Stars and Stripes?

• Dances: Say Yes or Stress?

Feature

The Misfits Dog Rescue is Small Yet Strong

• Dances: Say Yes or Stress?

Feature

Leaving the World Behind: How the Brain Protects Itself

• Dances: Say Yes or Stress?

Feature

The Benefits of Bilingualism: Becoming a National Treasure

• Dances: Say Yes or Stress?

Feature

The Battle of the Beans: Are you Pro-Starbucks or Pro-Dutch Bros?

• Dances: Say Yes or Stress?

Feature

Behind the Scenes of the Art Department

Dances: Say Yes or Stress?