A School Year to Remember

Original photo by Olivia Peluso.

As the end of an eventful school year approaches, the sentimental senior stories begin and the memories, good and bad, rest in the minds of all Kadets. Finals week quickly creeps into the lives of high schoolers at Air Academy, and the cramming begins. As this stressful season of life erupts, a gentle reminder of the moments which made the school year unforgettable is necessary.

Students, teachers, and staff at AAHS often personally reflect on the school year, but what lighthearted memories define the school year as an entity?

Mrs. Steinke: “There were so many things that went really, very well. In world studies, the Shakespeare unit is a good memory. My students all worked collaboratively to put on a productive of Shakespeare. Watching it all come together was truly fun. As a school, we did numerous things. The homecoming game was enjoyable, as was seeing band reclaim their state title. Our class color assembly was a highlight. In the end, I’ll remember my honors world studies classes from this year because they are such good kids. It has been a good school year and I have grown, as have my students.”

Thad Dewing: “I think the best part of my school year was winning a soccer state title in overtime. Our season was being determined by that one game and we were undefeated, 20-0. We scored a golden goal and it was great. We fed off the energy of the crowd watching, the support was unbelievable. It was a perfect end to a perfect season.”

Ms. Preeshl: “Well, some exciting things happened this year. My students were very successful in the art shows and competitions they entered. I love seeing others enjoy my students’ work. Classes this year have been full, compared to other years. Kids are having fun and creating amazing pieces while doing so. Also, several seniors are pursuing careers in art. I am eager to see where their studies will lead them to and how they will thrive in the arts.”

Jacob Faulkner: “If we are talking good memories, winning state for band is incredible but marching the Rose Parade is unforgettable. The memories created in Pasadena will stay with me forever. After preparing for over a year, it was more than worth it to march in the parade. That would stand as the biggest highlight from this school year, truly an once in a lifetime experience. Reclaiming our state title was a triumph too, can’t forget that victory.”

Ms. Riggs: “One of my favorite memories from this school year is the Sources of Strength peer leader nomination assembly. It was so fun seeing all the students that were nominated by AAHS staff come together in one room. The event was upbeat and entertaining with music, videos, and a giant rock, paper, scissors battle. Last but not least, who wouldn’t love to watch Thor (Mr. Brotherton) and Mr. Incredible (Mr. Vollmar) battle out in an arm wrestling match. We have amazing students and staff here at Air Academy High School and I love it when we can recognize this and have some fun.”

Ellie Hess: “As a freshmen, everything was new and exciting. The homecoming football game was really fun. Also, volleyball season comes to mind as a good memory. It helped me connect and I could play the sport I love with girls I love. This has been a great school year and I will not forget the memories I made with friends.”

From football games to state titles to student recognition, the 2017-2018 school year has created moments each student can appreciate. Individual and group achievements allowed for an enjoyable 60th school year at Air Academy High School.