Expectations vs. Realities of High School

High School Musical will always be what we wish high school was like.

Growing up, we have a certain idea in our minds of what high school is going to be like, mostly based on Disney Channel movies. However, when we actually get to high school, all our expectations of dancing on the cafeteria tables at lunch are devastatingly crushed. 

From the start of elementary school we are already dreaming of what high school will be like. Movies like High School Musical really set our standards high. We envision ourselves with the perfect group of friends and perfect relationships. We wait so long to find out just how amazing it will be, but when we finally get there, reality kicks in and it turns out nothing like the movies. 

The first day of high school is a day you have pictured since you were little. You imagine yourself walking through the hallways with all of your friends and everyone stops to stare. However, when you get there you will be lucky if you can find one friend to walk with. As you walk through the crowded halls, all the upperclassmen stare you down without a smile on their face, and you just try to survive to make it to class. From this point, all your expectations go down the drain of a perfect high school career.

School spirit is one of the biggest expectations we have going into high school. We picture assemblies where everybody is decked out in school colors and screaming with spirit and having a great time. In reality, we all go to the gym and sit and talk to our friends. It is harder than it seems to be involved in everything during high school, and people just don’t care enough. A huge flash mob with all the students dancing and singing definitely doesn’t happen on a regular basis.

“High School Musical made me think that high school would be the perfect experience. I thought it would be the place where I had the most fun and made the most memories, but that isn’t reality. High school is definitely not how it seems in the movies” senior at AAHS Ellie Wright says.

Other people think that when we get to high school we will magically have everything figured out. They think that we will finally know what we want to do with the rest of our lives, but that definitely isn’t the case.

“I thought there would be a bigger change between high school and middle school, but nothing big happened. I’m definitely still trying to figure things out, and things are not always going to be perfect” sophomore Kate Farhart says.

Many people go into high school with friends they have had since elementary school. They believe that nothing will come between them, and they will all stay friends forever. As soon as you get to high school you will come to realize that this is definitely not true. Your friend groups will change over the years and you will meet new people. It is sad to see some friendships coming to an end, but also really great to meet new people.

Overall, we grow up having a specific idea in our heads about what high school will be like and movies shape these expectations. Although, when we actually get to high school these dreams are crushed and we are exposed to the realities of high school.

High school isn’t that bad when you get used to it, but it will never be High School Musical.