Filed under Feature

Sources of Strength

Sometimes finding a source of strength can be all you need to get you through a difficult situation. Luckily, here at Air Academy, one can find help identifying their sources of strength from students who were hand selected to join the Sources of Strength team.

Sources of Strength is a research based program with an important mission:

Anti-bullying and anti-suicide.

Derived from research, Sources of Strength  originated from the Dakota’s area and Indian reservations to help with their statistically high suicide rates.

It has since evolved, becoming a school-based program with Air Academy and District 20 being lucky enough to receive a grant for this special student campaign, allowing students to bring Sources of Strength to all District 20 high schools this last year, the 2017-2018 school year.

Sources of Strength is student led.

“We hand picked students to join our committee because we knew if we left it open that we would miss the wallflowers, the kids who don’t actually want to be a part of the club, all important groups of kids who we need to be a part of this so they can each reach their own niche,” says Assistant Principal Robin Koldenhoven.

These hand-selected kids attended a meeting where they learned about the different types of sources.

For example, friends, mentors, healthy activities, mental health access, and spirituality are all examples of a “source of strength.”

This student training was just the beginning for the Sources of Strength program at Air Academy.

“We are hoping to launch a messaging campaign to help kids connect. One way is posters. However, it’s more than that. We’ve joined with No Place for Hate. We’re putting together a candy heart campaign, where kids write what they’re thankful for on a notecard in exchange for candy, and a chain link campaign, where kids identify their current source of strength and write it on a colorful paper. The paper will then be ‘linked’ together to form a chain across the hall,” says Koldenhoven in regards to future plans.

At a minimum, Sources of Strength will be involved at Air Academy for another 2 years.

During this time, be sure to be on the lookout for fun new activities and different sources of strength.

Here is a link to the Sources of Strength website:

Home