Filed under Feature

New to Air Academy

Back to Article
Back to Article

New to Air Academy

Picture of new student Kate Farhart

Picture of new student Kate Farhart

Picture of new student Kate Farhart

Picture of new student Kate Farhart

Moving can be extremely tough, especially when you have to go through it mid school year.  Kate Farhart, sophomore at AAHS has firsthand experience with this.

“I grew up in Mississippi, and never thought I would move, so when I found out I thought it would be super tough,” Kate says, “I had never been to Colorado before I moved here, so I didn’t really know what to expect.”

Going to a brand new place where you don’t know anybody can be super intimidating, but Kate was looking forward to seeing a new place filled with new people. In leaving the people and place she had spent her whole life with though, she found the move that much harder.

“We moved because my dad got a new job with Compassion International. This was a great opportunity for him because he is able to interact and help many families. He is the security director of Asia, so he travels a lot. I didn’t expect his job to be all the way in Colorado, but I’m very glad it is, because I love it here.”

If you don’t know Kate, she is very outgoing and extroverted, so she has no problem making friends. Of course she was nervous walking into a school where she knew nobody, but she was excited to meet everyone.

“Everybody in Colorado is so nice and makes me feel so welcome. I moved here during finals week , so it was a hard time to transition, but everyone was very friendly and helpful. I made friends fast because everyone understood how hard moving can be.”

Kate had never seen mountains before she moved here, so the first moment she saw the beautiful Colorado mountains, she started crying. “The mountains are one of my favorite things about Colorado, and every time I drive pass them I can’t believe I get to live in such a beautiful place.”

Half way through the year everyone already has their friend groups and are used to the routine of school. Coming into school during the school year makes it much harder to meet people. Moving itself is scary, but to do it in the middle of the year is a complete different experience.

“I love it in Colorado and I know it is where I am supposed to be. It was hard to leave Mississippi, but I was definitely ready for a change. Colorado is incredible and is definitely the best of both world. It is so beautiful and the people are all so sweet!”

Overall, Kate Farhart is very brave because she went through a big move during the middle of the year, where she knew no one. It is really cool to see Colorado through her eyes since she had never been here, and makes us appreciate it so much more.

If you happen to see Kate in the halls say hi and welcome her; she’s easy to be friends with!

About the Writer
Reagan Gatlin, Journalist

Hi, my name is Reagan Gatlin and I am a Junior at Air Academy High School. I love playing tennis, hanging out with friends, and traveling! Outside of school...