How to Make Money in High School

Senior Morgan Gatlin babysitting for money

Reagan Gatlin, Copy Editor

Having no money in high school can be very inconvenient, especially when we have to pay for gas, food, and outings with friends. Over time this can all add up, and we are left asking our parents for more money.

The simple solution to this problem that everybody will tell you is: Get a job.

Well, the “simple” solution isn’t as simple as people may say it is, especially when you are in high school.

Finding a job in high school can be one of the most dreadful tasks, especially when you are 16 years old. Managers will say that you are too young and have too little experience, which nobody wants to hear. What you may not know is that there are hundreds of job opportunities out there that are perfect for teens and require no work experience.

“To make money I babysit for families in my community,” Eliza Tripp, sophomore at Air Academy High School says. Babysitting is a great way to make money in high school because there is no age limit. You just have to be responsible enough to take care of kids. It is super efficient and doesn’t require long work hours and filling out resumes. Search for families and close friends that are in need of a babysitter, and this will be the perfect job for you!

Another easy way to earn money in high school is chores. Nobody likes to hear it, but chores are a great way to get money. Ask your parents if they would be pilling to pay you for doing chores around the house. This is a perfect opportunity to obtain money because you don’t even have to leave your house.

There are several other job opportunities that you can do without even leaving your neighborhood.

“I mow the lawn almost every weekend in the summer for my family and neighbors, and in the winter I shovel their driveways,” says Kate Pearne, an AAHS freshman. Mowing the lawn and shoveling driveways full of snow are great because they are a work out as well as a job. Ask your parents and friends if they want you to mow their lawn and shovel their driveways because it is a super efficient way to earn money.

Lastly, one of the best ideas for some extra cash is to put on a car wash. This is a great summer activity to do with friends, while also earning some money. All you have to do is get some soap and water and tell all your friends. Not only does it bring in the money, but it is a great way to spend time with friends and have fun.

Overall, finding jobs in high school can be a difficult task, but hopefully these ideas sparked something inside of you. Finding small ways to help others to earn some money is great. You don’t have to worry about asking you parents for money anymore, because these ideas will be perfect for you!