Kadet Koffee

Kadet+Koffee

Whitney Moran, Managing Editor

Cups passed down the line from the cashier stand to the back bar. Blenders on full blast preparing a vast selection of frappes and smoothies. Milk steamed to perfection to only be greeted by its sweater counterpart and at least one shot of espresso. Whip cream topped with colorful sprinkles or chocolate chips to the customers liking. “One small vanilla latte,” calls out the manager, “ with extra whip,” and a wink.

Kadet Koffee is the new home for all things sweet and caffeinated at Air Academy. The recently renovated coffee stand is located between the Cafeteria and the Weights room, in what used to be the Student Store, where students could purchase packaged foods and sodas. Kadet Koffee, just like the student store, is running with the intentions to provide funds for the Air Academy DECA students to go to the state competition. DECA, formally known as Distributive Education Clubs of America, hopes to “prepare emerging leaders and entrepreneurs in marketing, finance, hospitality and management in high schools and colleges around the globe” as said in their official mission statement. But locally, the Air Academy DECA hopes to make Air Academy more of a community, says Jayne Brent, DECA adviser.

Brent, a business class teacher, oversees all of the store’s plans and revenue, with the help from all of the DECA officers. All the DECA officers were elected last year to take positions as President, VP, Secretary, and other cabinet positions, to organize and handle the club, but have taken up the role as manager during class time in the Kadet Koffee shop. Nicole De La Fuente, the Secretary, and Carli Smith, Vice President, work together during Silver One as managers in Kadet Koffee.

“It takes a lot of team comraderie in order to be efficient and effective when getting the drinks out as fast as possible,” states Carli Smith. From opening day, September 29th, until October 4th, the store produced almost 1000 all within the first two blocks of every morning.

For now, it’s pretty obvious that Kadet Koffee is off to a great start, but it definitely came with struggles.  “It has been difficult making sure all the recipes are down to perfection and getting the whole flow down in the shop,” Smith says. “And that’s just prior to opening!”

Kadet Koffee was met with a storm of customers on the first day, many with a free drink punch card from Mr.Olson and others with cash in hand. De La Fuente worked the rush first hand, and “Just not having enough machinery to meet the customers’ demands while students are waiting in line is definitely something we have to overcome. It does take a while to get the drinks out but we always take it slow to make sure they are done properly.”

As the coffee shop continues to work hard behind the counter, Carli Smith and Nicole De La Fuente still have plans for the future. “We are looking into beginning to sell snacks and different drinks to enlarge the menu. We are proud of how it has all come together and we are keeping up the hard work to make it as successful as it can be,” says De La Fuente.