Kadets Through the Ages, Halloween

labeled for reuse under the creative commons laws . https://pixabay.com/en/pumpkin-spooky-halloween-october-917432/

Katlyn Blacksten, Senior Copy Editor

October: a time for chills and thrills. Halloween is one holiday that all broke high school students, such as myself, can get behind because it does not require you to spend any money on gifts. Spook month has officially kicked off, and as we get closer and closer to revered October 31, I asked several students and graduates pressing questions to celebrate our hallows eve at Air Academy.

First up was Mrs. Morgan, an Air Academy graduate (1992) and teacher, who spoke with me about her favorite things to do on Halloween, both now and before she had graduated.   

Q: What is your impression of Halloween?

A: “I love Halloween.”

Q: Now that you’re an Adult how do you chose to celebrate Halloween?   
A: “I like to give out candy during Halloween, but I have to set a bowl outside because my dachshunds go absolutely nuts. And before you ask, no, I don’t dress the dogs up.”

Q: Do you still dress up for Halloween and what was your favorite costume that you have worn?
A: “I do still dress up, and my favorite costume was the tremendously incorrect Indian princess my mom made for me out of a burlap bag. I think I was six when I wore it.”

Q: During your high school career did you dress up at school?
A: “I don’t remember if we even dressed up, it was the younger kid thing at the time.”

Q: What is your favorite type of candy?

A: My favorite type of candy is Snickers and York peppermint patties. (Hear that kids? Maybe if you bring her some candy she will give you extra credit.)  

Q: Anything else you would like to say to the Air Academy community this Halloween?

A: “Be safe.”   

When I asked an old friend of mine that had graduated Air Academy High school in 2016, Madison Rasmussen, about Halloween she said:

“I love Halloween and haunted houses are my favorite part of the holiday.”

Q: Which is your favorite haunted house?

A: “Hellscream (in Denver). It is about 30 minutes long, and in each room, they have a different setting.”

Q: What was your favorite costume that you dressed up as in high school?

A: “Jack Sparrow was my favorite costume and I went around saying, “ Now bring me that horizon.”

Q: How do you celebrate Halloween now that you have graduated?

A:  “I just go trick or treating with my younger siblings.” 

Q: Anything else you would like to tell our readers about Halloween?

A: “Have Fun! ”

Kirsten Kinder, a current Air Academy Student, explained that her favorite thing about Halloween is

“dressing up in the most ridiculous outfit possible without being judged for it.”

Kirsten also said when asked what has been her favorite costume, she said “A Carebear.”

Q: What do you do to celebrate Halloween now?

A: “ I watch scary movies at night with my friends.”

Q: What is your favorite horror movie to watch?

A: “ It (the old one), because Tim Curry is amazing.”

Now, I know there are other holidays soon approaching, but don’t forget our Spooky Month or Thanksgiving, because both of these holidays deserve to be respected for the amazing things they bring with them (such as free candy and an entire week off from school). Remember, in your mad dash for savings on the day after, we are supposed to be celebrating with our loved ones, so pick something up for me. Thank you.