Why Moving Isn’t so Bad

Original Photo by Reagan Gatlin

Layne Anderson joined with friends for homecoming!

Reagan Gatlin, Journalist

The first step into a new school can be the hardest one to take because you are walking in knowing none of the people that flood the halls. Moving states or leaving a city can be a frightening experience, especially for students because they have to go to a new school. At Air Academy High School there are many students who have experienced moving in their high school career. 

Sophomore at Air Academy High School, Layne Anderson, recently moved to Colorado all the way from Virginia.

“The hardest part about moving to a new school is making new friends because you have to find people who have common interests with you,” Anderson says. She is a part of the volleyball team at Air Academy, so she has found friends who share similar hobbies and interests by getting involved in school activities. 

Something great about moving to a new school is getting to start all over again and re-invent yourself because nobody knows you or your story. You are given a new opportunity to improve the mistakes you made in the past, and try to be the person you want to be. A new school allows for a new and improved you.

Advice for students who are moving is to reach out to your school counselor because he or she will be the person who is your biggest advocate and supporter at school. Counselors will answer questions and be there whenever you need them. Having a person there that you can trust to help and guide you makes a huge difference. 

Although moving can be scary,  Anderson has some advice.

“Get involved by joining sports or clubs that you are interested in,” Anderson says. “Being around people who you have things in common with will help you make new friends at school.” Friends who you can lean on and trust will help you enjoy school more, and get rid of the nerves.  

Moving in high school really prepares you for college. If you go away for college you will already know what it is like to move to a new place and make new friends. It will be a breeze to leave what you know and start over again, since you’ve already done it. 

The idea of moving can be terrifying for some people, but it in reality it is a great opportunity to make new friends and to have a fresh start.