Growing up in Suicide Central of America

Colorado Springs new logo. Photo via Wikimedia under the Creative Commons Licence.

This article is not my article, nor the Jetstream Journal’s. It quotes students from Air Academy High School, Pine Creek High School, Liberty High School, and Vista Ridge High School.

I found myself needing to publish student’s thoughts on the ongoing issue of teenage suicide when I was sitting at lunch and a recent suicide was brought up in the conversation. The only response was, “Oh really? That sucks. Does anyone want to go to my car with me to get…” A shrug of the shoulder. Not a big deal. We have normalized an abnormal idea and continue to believe that it is just “one of those things,” and “Yeah, it sucks.” The first time I ever heard about a suicide in our District I cried for 2 weeks. I didn’t even know him. Flash forward 3 years and everyone around me seems to think what’s happening isn’t horrible, and that there’s nothing to do to fix it.

How was growing up in D20 affected you/the school?
“It’s definitely hard at times. Growing up in this school district and community is a blessing, don’t get me wrong. But having known people or friends of people who have committed suicide takes a huge toll on you. All of the suicides at DCC were tragic and then the trend started to spread like wildfire. Suicide should not be able to be described as a trend, and yet where we live that term is pretty accurate.”
“Growing up in District 20, suicide was never a big part of the community, until I hit middle school; the first suicide I remember was at Air Academy High school. However, I don’t remember any news about it or any suicide prevention speeches at school. Since the population in D20 has increased, the amount of prevention has decreased.”

“Our city has lost a lot of beautiful people and I wish I knew what made them think that there was no light at the end of the tunnel. I think we as a community should reach out and fix this problem.”

“We honestly live in the suicide central of America. That takes a part of us.”

What, so you feel, is the main contributor to this problem?
“I feel students are under the pressure of school and fitting the image that social media and students have set as a standard”

“Social media and judgment is a big problem that happens around many schools. This should be addressed immediately.”

Do you feel D20 and the adults of our city are doing an appropriate job of trying to prevent teen suicides?
“I feel D20 has reasons for keeping the suicides more private from the public, but I think D20 should be doing more to make students feel like they have support or places to go if they are considering suicide”
“I don’t believe D20 addresses the issue of preventing suicide because many people go through problems as these. There should always be a safe place for students to go and feel welcome.”

“No, if anything the staff seem to be ignoring the suicides and thinking the best solution is to not bring up the topic.”

“I feel like all the adults think that blaming the students is an easy excuse. ‘They were bullied.’ But at this extent, adults need to at least try.”

In Netflix’s newly released Original “13 Reasons Why” the school holds suicide prevention courses in the classes for everyone to learn. They had one suicide. It’s not often Hollywood is realistic, but they’re being more realistic than our district is right now. There’s a serious problem that feels like only the students are seeing. There is a tragedy in our city, and no one is doing anything.

If you or a friend need someone to speak to, please don’t hesitate to reach out:

Pikes Peak Mental Health: (719) 635-7000 

The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255 

Suicide Prevention Partnership Pikes Peak Region: (719) 596-5433 (LIFE)