Cadet Life

Photo via Wikimedia under the Creative Commons License

Being in the military isn’t for everyone. There are countless rules, you must have strict discipline, and you must be willing to make immense sacrifices that are added to the stress of everyday life. However, cadets at the Air Force Academy chose that type of lifestyle for their college experience. College in itself is challenging, but being in a military college is something most people can only imagine. To shed some light on the type of lifestyle at the United States Air Force Academy are current cadets who have picked a military academy for their college experience.

When asked what first made you decide to join the Air Force Academy, Sam Skold says, “I was recruited by Julie Benson to run Cross Country and Track. Literally never heard of the place until she reached out to me my senior year.” Lindsey, another cadet at the Academy, answered by saying, “I decided to come to USAFA because it kind of had everything I was looking for in a school. I loved the team and the coaches here, and I also has always kind of had a desire to serve in some way after growing up with parents both being in the military.” Lindy Long, another current cadet, said, “I wanted to challenge myself in every way possible; the Academy definitely has done that!”

When asked what are they currently studying, Sam Skold responds, “Biology” and “Pre – Med.” Lindsey is currently studying “operations research” which can be found in the math department.

As many people know, freshman year is one of the most challenging years at the United States Air Force Academy. Reliving freshman year, Lindsey remembers the hardest part was “figuring out how to manage time and learn all the little parts of freshman year. Things like knowledge tests, learning staff lists, knowledge bowls, and mandatory military time.” Long believes that the hardest part of freshman year was “probably carrying my backpack in my left hand as silly as that sounds!”

An average day as a cadet is a lot. A normal day in the life as a cadet for Sam Skold means “0430, wake up. 0500, cross train. 0600, morning lift. 0730, class. 1130, noon meal formation (marching to lunch). 1200, lunch. 1230, class. 1350, rehab prior to practice. 1430, practice. 1830, dinner. 1900, homework. 2300, bed.” For Lindsey, life as a cadet is “wake up then go to morning accountability formation at 6:45. Go to breakfast and then class from 7:30-12. Noon meal formation is next, then mandatory lunch with your element. Depending on the day, after lunch there may be a mandatory military call to quarters. Homework is until practice, which starts at 2:30. Normal practice ends around 6, so I go to dinner. Then I do homework until bed!”

Being a cadet has its obvious difficulties and challenges. Crammed schedules require time management and discipline, never before experienced in high school. With sports, life as a cadet at the Air Force Academy becomes that much more hectic. However, the benefits are undeniable. You must be dedicated and disciplined in order to excel at a life in the military. Taking academics seriously along with physical fitness are things that every cadet needs to acquire during their freshman year. I hope to become as dedicated and hard working as these current cadets when I run for the United States Air Force Academy next year!