The Secret Life of a Peer Partner

Megan goofing around with an SSN student. Photo used with permission from Megan Manst.

Air Academy has many unique opportunities to explore possible careers while helping others; peer partnering is one of these many opportunities. The peer partner program is where an SSN (severe special needs) student is paired with another student in order to help out with homework, projects, and social skills. The peer partner goes to classes with the SSN student and helps them. This experience is one of a kind and will leave both students with lasting memories.

Megan Manst, a senior, has been a peer partner for three years and has also been a peer partner during summer school. I asked Megan about her time being a peer partner in order to inspire other Kadets to become peer partners.

How was your experience being a peer partner?

“My experience as a peer partner has been amazing and inspirational!”

What is a peer partner’s responsibility?

“The responsibilities that come with being a peer partner are you have to make sure the SSN is doing work and doing the correct work and just helping guide them with that and you need to in a sense keep them safe.”

Are you going to pursue a career in Special Education?

“So actually I am just about to accept my offer for a college and have officially decided that I am going to school to become a special education teacher. I cannot wait, and a huge part of this decision was that the peer partner program just impacted me so much.”

What kind of student would be a good peer partner?

“If you are interested in being a peer partner you have to have good people skills and not be easily bulldozed if that makes sense? You have to be strong in directions but also fun and kind.”

What is your favorite memory being a peer partner?

“I worked at Rampart over the summer and was practically a peer partner for the SSN students who went to summer school. There were about 7-8 students and each one had a unique personality. There was this one student I remember who was quite violent at times and only one Peer Professional worked with him the entire month. One day, I just happened to be sitting by him and the Peer warned me to not really talk to him which was tough for me of course because I love engaging with people. He was minding his own business and playing with this goop, like the glue and laundry detergent, and right next to him was a pile of beans that he had been counting when took a break to play with the goop. He didn’t talk at all, he only screamed when he needed help and signed a little bit. So he was playing with the goop and I grabbed one of the beans and stuck it in the goop. And he looked at me and he smiled. And then he kind of giggled a bit! And that made my heart melt, I had connected with him! Then, he dug through the goop and pulled it out and put it back in his pile, but that moment he smiled made me feel so happy!”

Taylor Johnsten was also a peer partner who shared her experiences with me.

What was your experience like as a peer partner and what were your responsibilities?

“I had a great experience with the students. They are all an absolute riot! You really just need to be there for them and help them. Some people need a little more help than others and that’s okay.”

Why did you become a peer partner?

“I became a peer partner because I really just love helping others. You get that feeling of good butterflies.”

Will you pursue a career in Special Education?

“I don’t think I will pursue a career like that because my passion is really in writing. Don’t get me wrong, it was a great experience and I’m glad I got to experience it.”

What kind of people would be good peer partner?

“I think people who have patience and a great sense of caring are great for the job.”

What was your favorite memory?

“My favorite memory was helping throw a prom for our friends. Dancing with them was so fun and they have some serious moves. Many students are unable to go to the regular prom due to disabilities. It was really rewarding giving them the opportunity to experience prom.”

Being a peer partner is a wonderful way to give every student the best high school experience, despite disabilities. If you would like to become a peer partner, talk to Ms. Arsenault, the AAHS SSN teacher. You won’t regret it!