Air Academy Presents…

Witches, and wolves, and giants, oh my! Air Academy High School’s Thespian department showcases Into the Woods, for the spring musical.

Into the Woods is a musical with music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim and book by James Lapine. The musical intertwines the plots of several Brothers Grimm and Charles Perrault fairy tales, exploring the consequences of the characters’ wishes and quests. The main characters are taken from “Little Red Riding Hood,” “Jack and the Beanstalk,” “Rapunzel,” and “Cinderella,” as well as several others. The musical is tied together by a story involving a childless baker and his wife and their quest to begin a family, their interaction with a witch who has placed a curse on them, and their interaction with other storybook characters during their journey.

Cast picture courtesy of Susan Davis, Into the Woods costume mom

Into the Woods is one of the most dynamic and difficult shows AAHS has ever attempted. With no ensemble, all the actors depend on themselves to bring the music to life. In addition to the actors, our band provides an impressive live pit, directed by Austina Lee and all choreography is presented by Joann Cassano. Not to mention the breathtaking costumes, collected and sewed to perfection by the talented costume moms: Monica Matthews, Susan Davis, and Susie Rivard.

According to Susan Manst, “I knew when I chose this show that Into the Woods would be the most difficult musical we have produced in years. As I expected, our students are boldly rising to the challenge. The music is fast and precise, the lyrics are insanely complex, and the characters are hilarious. I continue to be amazed at the talent level of our directing team, stage crew, musicians, and cast. They impress me every day with their work ethic and their positive attitudes.”

All the fairytale magic started back in January, after auditions, when the entire cast joined to begin learning the 2 1/2 hours worth of music.

“Doing Into the Woods has been a huge commitment which can be both physically and emotionally draining. It’s been very stressful to make sure all my lines and songs are memorized. After rehearsal, I don’t have enough energy to do much of anything. However, I wouldn’t change this experience for the world. The cast has grown so close together through all the dance parties, 3 hour long rehearsals, and backstage bonding. I can’t wait to share our cast’s hard work and dedication to a live audience, ” said senior Kadet and Baker’s Wife, Katie Kincaid.

The musical opens March 16th at 7 pm, but the cast and crew are holding a special show for the eighth graders from Eagleview Middle School on the 15th. And a performance featuring ASL interpreters to reach out to the Colorado Springs deaf community, provided by the PPCC IPP students on March 17th.

Stage Manager, Caleb Garza, stated that “Into the Woods is an ambitious story retold through our great theater program. I have the privilege to watch as our talented students bring this production into a far better show each and every rehearsal. We are all very excited for you to come and enjoy it on March 16, 17, and 18, all at 7 pm in Fillsinger Hall.”

At its core, Into the Woods is not so much about fantasy as it is about reality. That tolerance and understanding come when individuals stop putting some people down and others on pedestals. We cannot act in isolation, nor should we want to for we can accomplish individually only a fraction of the things we can accomplish communally. Appreciate what you have, realize what you want, accept what you can’t have, but discover what you are capable of. It is only when we start accepting each other’s faults and acknowledging each other’s strengths, then we can join together to combat the giants that face us all.

Tickets are $10 for adults and $7 for students at the door and also on sale at showtix4u.com.