What Colleges are Really Looking For

As many of us just turned in our registration for the next school year, we chose classes based on our interests. To graduate high school, you need a specific amount of credits, but what are colleges looking for? For example, Air Academy only requires one year of foreign language, but many colleges want to see 3-4 years of a foreign language. The preferences change based on what type of college you want to attend. To graduate high school, (not including core electives, or electives), Air Academy requires that you take:

1 year of Foreign Language

4 years of English

3 years of Science

3 years of Math

3 years of Social Studies

Ivy Leagues

The majority of Ivy League schools want to see that you take increasingly harder classes each year. The majority of students that attended an Ivy League took the following classes throughout high school:

4 years of English

4 years of Math

4 years of Social Science (Social Studies)

4 years of Science

4 years of Foreign Language

Yale, an Ivy League school located in Connecticut, said, “When the admissions committee looks at your transcript, it will not focus on whether you have taken any specific course. It will be far more interesting to see that you have challenged yourself with difficult coursework and have done well.”

4 Year Colleges (State schools and Universities)

The majority of colleges, private and public, usually require more than 2 years of any subject. Colleges look for a balanced schedule, this means that you took a math, science, social studies, and an English class.

4 years of English (majority of colleges, some colleges look for 3-4 years)

3-4 years of Math

3 years of English (Minimum, selective colleges look for 4 years)

3-4 years of Science

3 years of Foreign Language

Community College

To attend a community college, the main requirement is that you are a high school graduate, so to attend a community college you need:

1 year of Foreign Language

3 years of English

3 years of Science

3 years of Math

3 years of Social Studies

Dr. Beers, the college and careers director, says that “ Many students go to Pikes Peak Community College (PPCC), even for just a year. Then they go to a different college, like a 4-year college.” Community College is also much cheaper. For example, you can take 3-4 classes at Pikes Peak Community College, for the price of just one college class at the University of Colorado Colorado Springs (UCCS).