To Go or Not to Go

To Go or Not to Go

At this time of the year, many Air Academy Seniors are finding out which four-year college or university they will be attending; however, other AAHS Seniors are choosing to veer in a different direction. While a four-year degree is a great way to go, it isn’t the only road to success. Some students aren’t ready either financially or emotionally to commit to the four-year degree. Other students need time to explore new options or need time to chill before they embark on the journey of late night studying, living away from home, and joining a sorority or fraternity. Here are some alternatives to a typical four-year degree:

Join the Military

A great option after high school is enlist in the military. The military provides a job, basic living needs, food, and clothing. There are also opportunities for education and careers in the military. Joining the military is a career choice that an individual can be proud of because there is no greater accomplishment than serving your country.

Volunteer

Some students aren’t ready to dive right back into the books; they would rather do something meaningful while they decide where their future may take them. Volunteering before going to college or any other path is a great way to serve others while figuring out where life will eventually take you. There are organized volunteering programs like Americorps or the Peace Corps, along with other ways you can give back to communities such as the Cure International or YWAM (Youth with a Mission).

If you volunteer overseas, typically your housing and basic living needs are covered by the organization. This can be a great way to take on an adventure you will remember, while still not taking on the burden of college debt.

Gap Year

A European trend that has become more popular in the United States in the past decade is taking a gap year. While this type of experience can be a little pricey, it gives a new high school graduate the chance to blow off some steam and take on some adventure before heading to a four-year college or university or into the workforce. There are several organized gap year programs, as well as self-planned adventures such as back packing through Europe for a year. Many U.S. colleges now offer deferred admissions as an option for students partaking in a gap year. This means that a student has up to a year off but can still have a spot at the college or university they got into.

Get a license or a trade

There are well-paying and life-long careers that don’t require a four-year college education after high school. These positions still need either some type of licensing, certification, or on the job training:

• Claims Adjuster & Investigator
  • Mortgage Broker
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Medical Technician
  • Detective/Criminal Investigator
  • Court Reporter
  • Construction Supervisor
  • Web Developer

Whether you choose a four-year degree or another option, we wish our seniors well in whatever they do!