AAHS Upcoming Spring Sports

Photo via Wikimedia labeled for reuse under the creative common license https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Tennis_Racket_and_Balls.jpg

Spring sports are right around the corner and you might want to consider going out for one. Air Academy offers a variety of spring sports that allow students to stay active and get involved in school athletics. Spring sports include: Girls Lacrosse, Girls Tennis, Baseball, Track and Field, Boys Swim and Dive, Girls Golf, and Girls Soccer.
Girls Lacrosse
The Girls Lacrosse team is led by head coach Jay Wallace and assistant coach Kali Maxwell. Last year was their first year coaching for the Air Academy girl’s lacrosse team. Girls lacrosse is a varsity and a junior varsity team sport that welcomes new players to the team. Senior and varsity lacrosse player Natalie Sannes says, “I love playing on the same team, as my best friends and I love playing for a school that has such good athletics and values the athletes. Girls should play lacrosse because it is a good way to stay in shape and it is a fun sport! It can be kind of hard to pick up, but once you get some stick skills the game becomes super fun!” Lacrosse is a great team sport for skills in communication and teamwork, the first day of tryouts and practice will be February 27, 2017.
Girls Tennis
Head coach Matt Kiser, who also coached the AAHS boys tennis in the fall, has been an Air Academy tennis coach for several years. Along with Kiser is Rick Thompson, the Girls Varsity 2 coach, and Lynda Powell, the Girls Junior Varsity coach. With eight recently resurfaced courts, the girl’s tennis team should have a great season ahead of them. Sophomore and Varsity tennis player, Cori Campbell, explains why she plays tennis, “I enjoy playing tennis because of the people. I have some really close friends that I have made from the team. Tennis is an awesome sport and easy to pick up quickly and still enjoy it.” Tennis is a great sport to learn because it can be enjoyed throughout your life, even past high school.
Baseball
Boys baseball is led by head coach, Doug Goldberg. Alongside Goldberg is Junior Varsity coach, Bob Wingett, who works here at Air Academy, and C-Squad coach Ron Gorr, a social studies teacher here at Air Academy. Sophomore Gage Dewitt who previously played on the AAHS baseball team comments about why people should play baseball, “People should play baseball because it’s a great way to make friends, you get a lot of exercises and it is always beautiful in the spring.” The baseball team is very competitive and values the player’s talent over their class ranking and the players are expected to work hard for their spot on the team. Baseball has a Varsity, Junior Varsity, and a C-Squad team.
Track and Field
Track and Field is a spring sport offered to male and female athletes. It is a popular sport because of the large variety of events. The Boys team is led by Coach Phil Roiko, a social studies teacher here at Air Academy. The Girls team is led by Coach Kim Whitaker, who has coached the team for several years. There are four additional assistant coaches, as well. Coach Lee Routsong, a social studies teacher here at Air Academy, Coach Steve Rischling, Coach Clint Whitaker, and coach Scott Nalbach. Sophomore, Calvin Banta comments on his favorite parts of track and field, “My favorite part about track is the great community in track and field. There is a lot of support from event to event which especially makes competing more fun. There are great coaches and I get to represent my school in running.” New 2017 Track and Field gear is now available, go check it out! It is being displayed across from room 122 in A building, order forms are located in room 124.
Boys Swim and Dive
The Boys Swim and Dive team practices are held at the Rampart High School pool. The team is led by head coach Scott Newell, who has been coaching both girls and boys swim for several years. Along with coaching, he is a science teacher here at Air Academy. Coach Sarah Newell is the team’s assistant coach. Junior diver, Sam Choate explains why he enjoys the sport, “I enjoyed diving because I get to compete with my friends, and it is a fun atmosphere. My favorite part of the dive season is competing”.
Girls Golf
The Girls Golf team is led by head coach Jim Cole, who is a social studies teacher here at Air Academy. The Golf team is a Varsity and Junior Varsity sport. The team’s practices are held at the Air Force Academy Eisenhower Golf course. Coach Jim Cole comments why girls should play for the AAHS golf team, “They should play because it is a lifelong sport you will be able to play well into your old age. I enjoy the practices and getting to know the personalities of the golfers.”
Boys Lacrosse
The Boys lacrosse team is led by head coach, John Mandico, Junior Varsity coach, Jeff Ford, and Junior Varsity coach, Mike Sagaert. Sophomore Varsity Lacrosse player, Noah Thornally, enjoys playing for the lacrosse team because “It is a fun way to get active and I enjoy, being a part of a team that works together.” Last season the Varsity boys lacrosse team made it to the semi-finals.
Girls Soccer
The popular spring sport, girls’ soccer, offers a good way to stay active and be in a great team atmosphere. It is led by Head Coach, Espen Hosoien, Junior Varsity coach, Ryan Dozier, and C-squad coach, Diego Romero. Sophomore Varsity soccer player Liza Louthan, comments about her favorite part of the sport and why students should play: “I enjoy playing for the team because the program is really good and the support is great. People should play girls’ soccer because the program is great and the coaching staff is incredible.”
Kadets are always encouraged to try new things and sports are a perfect way to do so. Air Academy offers a variety of spring sports that allow athletes to get involved, meet new people, and stay active. Spring will be here before we know it, so get out and enjoy the weather by playing a sport. Registration for Air Academy Spring Sports is open now and closes on February 23, 2017. To register go to the Air Academy Athletic page at https://airacademy.asd20.org/Info/Athletics/Pages/default.aspx