Clubs, Clubs, Clubs

Link Crew to show “Total Support” this year! Original photo by Emily Olson.

At Air Academy High School there is a great selection of clubs that students can partake in, from chess club to FCCLA. In this edition of the Jetstream Journal, we will be specifically viewing FCCLA, AAVO, and Link Crew.

FCCLA

FCCLA stands for Family, Career and Community Leaders of America. Throughout the year, FCCLA volunteers for many different organizations. This club and its members turn into something like a family, and the members grow stronger together. Their mission is to promote personal growth and leadership development through Family and Consumer Sciences education. This club meets every Monday at lunch, in Ms. Armstrong’s room.

AAVO

Air Academy Volunteer Organization is a club at Air Academy High School where students are given volunteer opportunities. As a club, they contribute to community and school through service projects. Opportunities for students include volunteering at Petco Dog Adoptions, Project Angel Heart, Ronald McDonald House, and the Flying W Ranch Reforestation Project. Anyone can join AAVO. AAVO will meet every second Wednesday of the month during Kadet Time in the library conference rooms.

Petco Dog Adoption-

The Petco Dog Adoption is a volunteer program established among Petco Stores. On Saturdays, Petco stores hold a dog adoption for dogs in need of a home. Volunteers will help with the care and adoption of these dogs. It is a great way to earn volunteer hours while working with and benefiting the lives of adorable dogs.

Project Angel Heart-

Project Angel Heart is an organization that makes and delivers weekly meals to terminally-ill, home-bound people within our community. Every Saturday, volunteers drive all over our community delivering weekly frozen meals to these people in need. At school, we decorate the paper bags that the meals get delivered in to brighten people’s day. Project Angel Heart feeds the people who need food it the most: the sick.

Ronald McDonald House-

The Ronald McDonald House is an organization that gives sick children and their families a home close to each other with the care and resources they need. At the Ronald McDonald House, volunteers will take 2-4 hours out of the day to help the families of sick children. We clean, organize, do yard work, bake, and even help with special projects. These families need a welcoming place to stay near their children. Our volunteering makes it easy for these families to support their child in his or her fight.

Flying W Ranch Reforestation Project-

The Flying W Ranch Project focuses on rebuilding the Mountain Shadows area affected by the Waldo Canyon Fire. It is physically intensive, but a fun bonding experience that is available to anyone interested. We work predominately with fire restoration and flood prevention, building things like LEBs (log erosion barriers) to keep surrounding communities safe and to prepare the ground for safe rebuilding.

Link Crew

Link Crew is a high school transition program that focuses on welcoming freshmen while easing them into the first year of their high school experience. Built on the belief that students can help students succeed, Boomerang Project’s high school transition program trains mentors from our junior and senior classes to be Link Crew Leaders. As positive role models, Link Crew Leaders act as mentors and student leaders, guiding the freshmen in discovering what it takes to be successful during their freshman year of high school. Leaders also help facilitate freshman success.

Link Crew is a year long transition program that meets every third Thursday of the month. Four main components contribute to the group’s success:

• High School Orientation – Link Leaders and freshmen start building relationships, and freshmen receive advice about how to be successful in high school.
  • Academic Follow Ups – Link Leaders support freshmen academic success and character development through structured classroom visits.
  • Social Follow Ups – Link Leaders and freshmen connect outside the classroom at social events to increase student engagement and to a promote positive school environment.
  • Leader Initiated Contacts – Link Leaders connect with their freshmen on a more individual basis.