4 Ways to Find Your Perfect College

Picture via Flickr under the Creative Commons Liscence

Picture via Flickr under the Creative Commons License https://www.flickr.com/photos/76657755@N04/7027599019

Senior students all over the world are faced with the difficult task of choosing a future college where they will spend the next few years learning how to live their dream. With senior year well underway, most students are overloaded with challenging classes, demanding schedules, college visits and applications. Finding the perfect college is a difficult task; last year’s seniors are well aware. To make this process less stressful, past seniors have provided us with advice that can lead to making the perfect choice.

1) Currently enrolled at the University of Oregon, Katie Rainsberger encourages all seniors to “picture yourself living there for two/three years and see if you can see yourself being happy at that school.” A college that is perfect for your friends is not necessarily the best fit for you. Imagine what your life would look like after a few years at that school. If you can’t imagine it, it may not be the best fit for you.

2) Katie Rainsberger also suggests, “Don’t let outside sources such as parents, boyfriends/girlfriends, or money get in the way of your decision. Because at the end of the day, it’s where you are going that matters.” Parents typically have a major influence on college selection. However, they will not be living there for the next 4 years and should ultimately not make the final decision. Go to a school that makes you happy and will steer you in the right direction toward your future.

3) Current Michigan State University student and Air Academy alumna Kayla Wiitala suggests that even though money is not everything, “an affordable price is pretty essential. Whether you get scholarship money and whether you go in or out of state also affects price.” If money is an issue, in-state colleges may be the best fit; although, if money is a side factor to choosing the perfect college, consider options throughout the country and maybe even the world!

4) If you are interested in college athletics, Kayla Wiitala believes that while choosing your college, special attention should be payed to the school’s sports team and the skills and qualities they search for in future athletes. Athletics can help bring down college costs and are full of great opportunities. If sports are important to you, research colleges that suit you both athletically and academically.

Seniors all over the country graduate each year and continue their education by beginning their college career. Don’t let the stressful demands of senior year ruin all the fun times during your final year of high school. College is an important step to becoming educated and having the life you want, and senior year is something you will never forget. Have a great senior year!