Shoulda’ Been a Kadet

Contrary to popular belief, high school can be an extremely memorable time in your life; there is more to it than the stress of cramming for exams. It is my duty to provide you with the proper knowledge to elevate your experience during these four great years of your life. This leads me to all of the reasons why you should get to know Air Academy. Here are 6 reasons why you are lucky to be a Kadet, should have been a Kadet, or will seriously consider transferring schools to become a Kadet after reading this article.

1.       We have not one, but TWO courtyards.

Now these aren’t your average courtyards. Here you will find the majority of the students kicking back and relaxing in Eno hammocks. Need a place to study? Sit down in the courtyard. Want to meet new people or hang out with friends? Go to the courtyard. Need a new place to enjoy your lunch? Find your way to the courtyard!

2.       You are free to express yourself. Period.

Ashley Anderson, a senior this year at Air Academy stated, “You are accepted for who you are. You can be whoever you want to be, and you have so many opportunities to express yourself.” Clubs such as Art Club and Chess Club serve as a place for people to discover peers who share similar interests or skills. “I like being a Kadet because I am able to get involved in clubs and activities, even while balancing school work,” says Kate Danis, a sophomore at Air Academy.

3.       If you haven’t quite figured out who you are yet, it’s okay.

Considering high school is 4 years, you have plenty of time to find your group. You see someone new every day in high school, and you are bound to find your “group.” You also have plenty of time to find what you like and figure out what you want to do. Kadets are offered help with college, classes, and any other questions they have. 

4. You get to witness/play in the ultimate Powderpuff football game between juniors and seniors.

This one is surely a sight to see. Each year the two classes suit up to compete in a game of flag football in the K-Dome. The student section is always huge, because who doesn’t love a little competition?

5.       Homecoming Week is always epic.

Powderpuff takes place during this week, along with the bonfire, the homecoming game, the homecoming dance, and spirit week. At lunch, there are always free snow cones, cotton candy, and unlimited chances to dunk the unfortunate occupier of the dunk tank. What more could you ask for?

6.        We have a high school rivalry like the ones in the movies.

Air Academy has the ultimate rivalry with Cheyenne Mountain High School. This rivalry encourages friendly competition among the Kadets and the Indians; every game between these teams ensures a huge student section from both schools. Not to mention, the football boys are always ecstatic and ready to fight for a win against their #1 rivals.

Clearly, Kadets have it all. Don’t you wish you were one? If you are, then you know as well as I do that us Kadets wouldn’t have it any other way.