Heelys Quickly Skid to a Halt

Air Academy High School students express anger and confusion after the recent controversy over “Heelys” shoes in the school. Spirit Week 2013 had students showing school pride by finding new, fun ways to get around school. From Heelys to scooters, students were getting creative with faster modes of transportation. IMG_3837newHowever, when Spirit Week ended, some students continued wearing Heelys to school every day to make traveling from class to class easier, until the administration deemed them unsafe and decided that they didn’t want to be held liable for accidents or possible issues the shoes could cause. “I was really annoyed. I paid $55 for the shoes because I thought I would be able to wear them to school and have fun, and it ended up being a waste of money. There was nothing in the school dress code against it,” said Air Academy junior Travis Kohlman. This student hasn’t been the only one to express frustration over the Heelys controversy this fall season; the list goes on.

IMG_3828newApart from no longer being able to wear the shoes, students are questioning the use of scooters still being permitted in the halls of Air Academy. Some students are under the impression that although Heelys are no longer allowed in school, scooters are. “It’s really interesting how the school’s handling this. Scooters are allowed but shoes with wheels aren’t,” said Travis Kohlman. But contrary to popular belief, neither scooters nor Heelys are banned at Air Academy High School, according to the school principal Toria McGill. “There is no school policy on it and they haven’t been officially banned. It is sort of like ‘rough housing.’ We don’t really have a rule about that, but when we see kids going too far in physical play, we ask them to stop.”

Air Academy students have fought this newfound idea regarding Heelys, resulting in disciplinary action being taken by administration. “They sent one of those disciplinary letters home, and threatened suspension. Evidently, there had beenIMG_3830new complaints about me from teachers,” said Air Academy junior Tanner Saporito. Tanner also said, “I was irritated. My friends and I are thinking about typing up a liability form saying that if we hurt ourselves at school while wearing Heelys, the school won’t be liable.” Even after administration expressed displeasure over the shoes, students are still trying to think of ways to convince administration to change their mind, but the school is holding strong. Air Academy High School Principal, Toria McGill called use of the shoes in school “hazardous” because of students “wheeling into people or walls.”

The school has their reasons for everything that is allowed and not allowed in the halls. Students who wear Heelys to school and are seen carrying themselves in a careless way that could put other students in danger will obviously no longer be permitted to wear the shoes. Despite the displeasure of students, Heelys may not be tolerated in the halls of Air Academy High School for quite some time.