A Letter to My Senior Sister

original photo by Nicole Anderson

Hi poopy, it’s me.

Here we are. 2017. Your senior year. Graduation. Remember all of the times you wondered if you could make it? You did it! Now THAT is something to be proud of. I’ve known you my whole life, and you’ve known me all yours, minus the 2 years and 112 days before I was born. Besides mom and dad, if anyone is allowed to be the proudest of you, it’s me.

original photo by Nicole Anderson

Throughout our childhood, I remember thinking our time together was infinite. I could never imagine a time when we would no longer experience pretty much every part of our lives together. Countless spring break adventures, camping trips that we were forced to go on, more Dutch runs than we can afford, singing songs and sharing music together, and 287 billion car rides (I counted) filled with terrible singing and contagious laughter. It has all lead up to this point, and now you graduate in T-minus 3 days. Where did all the time go? I remember promising to spend as much time together as possible, making as many memories as we possibly could in the last year we have living under the same roof, attending the same school. We sure kept our promise, didn’t we? 🙂

High school does a pretty good job of breaking us down and then building us up, and we are stronger because of it. 4 years, 1460 days, and a million memories as a high school student. You did it. You lived through it all and now it is time for you to move on up in the world. You are so smart and you have so much potential. You have a place in this big world, don’t you ever forget that. You can be whoever you want and make whatever you want of your life. So try new things and take risks, because who knows what life has in store for you? Pave your own path. Never lose hope and live fearlessly, because your future is limitless.

I’m your sister. I know everything about you. We’ve laughed together, cried together, and I want to thank you for everything you’ve done for me over the years. It must not have been easy being the guinea pig in the family. Or driving me everywhere or dealing with my stubbornness or always having to bring me along when you have plans. So I think I owe you one heck of a THANK YOU. I quite honestly would not be the person I am today without you as my sister. I am so thankful for the two years we did get to spend in high school together and I love you so much. Sisters by blood and best friends by choice, I will always love you no matter what. I really tried not to make this the sappiest letter in the whole entire planet, I really did!! But on the real though, thank you for all of your love and support. I will never stop showering you with the same in return.

original photo by Nicole Anderson

I could go on and on, but needless to say: you deserve the world; so do me a favor, and GO GET IT. You are stronger than you think, and your future is so bright. Plus, I’ll drive up to see you, like, every weekend anyways. So, no, this is not a goodbye letter. This is you starting a new chapter of your life and me happily watching you grow. Go live your life! I will always be here. So happy graduation you crazy kid.

Love,

Your one & only sister (who also happens to be your biggest fan)