A Letter To The Class of 2018

Dear Class of 2018,

This gives me much pleasure to say….but you guys have one more year of high school, one more year of everything. That probably sounds miserable right now because all the seniors are leaving and headed off to new, exciting places while you’re stuck in school (haha) but, trust me when I tell you you’re going to be thankful for that extra time. Take advantage of this upcoming school year and run the school like I know you guys can. Love and cherish getting to see your friends faces everyday and laugh at their dumb jokes because soon you’ll be missing those dumb jokes. Also, make new friends, you don’t realize how many amazing people are at your school until you’re about to leave them all. Don’t pass up on an opportunity to show your school spirit at sporting events, dance your booty off at school dances, or participate in spirit weeks. Step outside your comfort zone and end your last days at Air Academy with a bang! Take classes that will challenge you, but make sure you’re taking some fun ones too. Add a partial here and there because you’ve worked so hard to get to this point you deserve to relax. Go in with a “heck yeah” mentality and your year is going to be kicking for sure.

When it comes time to apply to colleges don’t overthink or stress yourself out too much, it’s already a high stress situation; you DO NOT want to make it more complicated than it is. Take your time and go at your own pace, don’t let what others are doing influence you. Utilize your teachers and don’t be afraid to ask them for help with essays, applications, or recommendation letters because they are more than happy to help you. Personally, Mrs. Austgen was a life savior when it came to editing, revising, and making sure my essay was nothing less than perfection. The best advice I can give you about the college process is to follow your heart, but don’t wait till the last minute because time will catch up to you. Lastly, put in work and miss hanging out with your friends if you have to during this process, it’s 100% worth it. All the effort and time you will put into applications, essays and scholarships is all worth it once you have those acceptance letters in your hand.

With all the hard work you’ve put in these past four years you can’t stop right as you are about to finish. As excruciatingly painful as it’s going to be to not just blow off everything once you’ve been accepted into college, you have to suffer through and at least show up to class a few days a week and occasionally turn in some homework. Along with the privilege of being a senior, you have to act like properly, which means catching the senoritis bug at least a little bit. Don’t do your homework one night and go to a sporting event instead, get “called” out of class to go on an afternoon adventure with you friends, but most importantly have fun! As cliché as this sounds…. time flies and you can’t take a second of your time walking Air Academy’s halls for granted. Take it from someone who was so focused on leaving and getting to the college life, that the next thing I knew its the week of my graduation and I didn’t take advantage of my time and the opportunity’s that high school provided me with. Learn from my mistake and go HAM your senior year, soaking up every last second of it making sure you regret nothing. Once a Kadet, always a Kadet, so make sure to cheer extra loud, dance a little harder, and hug your friends a little tighter for me next year. My best wishes to you Seniors, class of 2018, I know you guys are going to make next year L17!

9 Comments

9 Responses to “A Letter To The Class of 2018”

1. Megan Reynolds on May 16th, 2017 11:57 am

This story is beautiful Kennedy. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences and advice with us!

[Reply]

2. Luke Negley on May 16th, 2017 11:57 am

So sad to see the seniors leaving!

[Reply]

3. Jessica Cox on May 16th, 2017 11:59 am

We’ll miss you so much Kennedy.

[Reply]

4. Morgan Gatlin on May 16th, 2017 12:01 pm

Thank you for all the advice! I’m super excited to be a senior!

[Reply]

5. Bethany Diaz on May 16th, 2017 12:02 pm

I miss the seniors so much already, and I can’t wait to be a senior. Thanks for the great advice, good luck in college!

[Reply]

6. Whitney Moran on May 16th, 2017 12:06 pm

Thanks for the advice Ken! We will miss you tons

[Reply]

7. Ryan Self on May 16th, 2017 12:07 pm

Wow thank you for this, I will cherish the memories we made together kiddo

[Reply]

8. Calvin Yocum on May 16th, 2017 12:11 pm

My senior year is going to be so lit. Great article!

[Reply]

9. katlyn blacksten on May 16th, 2017 12:19 pm

It is so sad to see the seniors leaving, but great article Kennedy!

[Reply]

*

• A Letter To The Class of 2018

Senior Edition

Returning to The Halls of AAHS

• A Letter To The Class of 2018

Senior Edition

From Ordinary to Extraordinary

• A Letter To The Class of 2018

Senior Edition

The Move To AAHS

• A Letter To The Class of 2018

Senior Edition

Big (Marching) Shoes to Fill

• A Letter To The Class of 2018

Showcase

Making a Wish Come True

• A Letter To The Class of 2018

Showcase

Classroom Bullies

• A Letter To The Class of 2018

Showcase

Social Media Overload

• A Letter To The Class of 2018

News

Should Evolution be Taught in Schools?

• A Letter To The Class of 2018

Showcase

Education, Money, and You

• A Letter To The Class of 2018

Showcase

PROM

A Letter To The Class of 2018